News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hot Cake (Fritter) just the syrup I needed

Started by dawson, January 16, 2020, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Greetings, fellow drive enthusiasts/tone conquistadores,

I'd like to share my build of the Mad Bean Fritter, a clone of the Crowther Hot Cake:

I was impressed by any demo videos of the original circuit I'd seen, so I've built this one stock and it sounds great with my AC-15 set-up as a mid-range drive to fill in the gain gap between my Centaur clone and my Big Cheese clone.  I've been looking for something like this for a long time, and in my search I've used a Rat, an Angry Charlie clone, a Red Llama clone, and an OCD clone, among different multi-Tube Screamer configurations, and the Hot Cake has de-throned ALL of them, I really don't think I could be happier with this sound, BUT I'm certain that I'll put together a board with the Mad Bean mods at some point.

Big thanks to MBP for putting out all of these great-sounding projects with such helpful documentation and low (sometimes FREE) prices,
& thank you for looking!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

jimilee

That looks fantastic. That's some mad wiring you got going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Quote from: jimilee on January 16, 2020, 11:34:02 AM

Thanks, Jimilee, I'm really happy with how this one looks.  I over-etched it just a bit, but the imperfections that arose worked out in my favor.

As for the wiring..when Mammoth Electronics was becoming extinct, they were clearing out their stock of 16mm POTs for $.25 or $.50 each, so I bought enough lugged POTs to save myself a few hundred dollars over the next couple years, anyhow I liked doing my own enclosure layouts of clones to begin with, but now I've got even more reason to wire things off-board so I'm getting a lot of practice!

jimilee

Quote from: dawson on January 16, 2020, 11:56:57 AM
Quote from: jimilee on January 16, 2020, 11:34:02 AM

Thanks, Jimilee, I'm really happy with how this one looks.  I over-etched it just a bit, but the imperfections that arose worked out in my favor.

As for the wiring..when Mammoth Electronics was becoming extinct, they were clearing out their stock of 16mm POTs for $.25 or $.50 each, so I bought enough lugged POTs to save myself a few hundred dollars over the next couple years, anyhow I liked doing my own enclosure layouts of clones to begin with, but now I've got even more reason to wire things off-board so I'm getting a lot of practice!
I'm kicking myself for missing that sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Timko

That's a fun etch on the artwork.  Nice job.

MTK

That looks great! I like it.

What size enclosure is that?

dawson

Quote from: jimilee on January 16, 2020, 12:11:43 PM
I'm kicking myself for missing that sale.
Ah bummer- this one was actually built on a PCB that I purchased later on for $5, and they're still for sale, I think I'll be grabbing a couple more as insurance for my sound and to build for friends, the free boards were yellow instead of red- I'll probably be building the Mad Bean modified circuit onto that one when I run out of other things to build.  Anyhow, there are still Fritters to be had thankfully- I honestly think that this effect sounds good enough to be a permanent project, but who knows how they're selling, they're a bit more obscure of a name than "Tube Screamer" or "Big Muff."

Quote from: Timko on January 16, 2020, 12:57:20 PM
That's a fun etch on the artwork.  Nice job.
Thank you, good sir!

Quote from: MTK on January 16, 2020, 01:25:39 PM
That looks great! I like it.

What size enclosure is that?
Thanks!  That enclosure is a 1590B from the great and mysterious land of China:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6CHKCZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These particular ones purchased around mid-2018 have got MUCH more rounded corners than others that I'd gotten from Mammoth (RIP), which look really cool for certain layouts.

Also, the LED I used is 8mm diameter, so if you're used to looking at 5mm or 3mm LEDs, my recent/future builds may look a bit odd.

MTK

Ohh, ok. I guess the extra round corners and ... I dunno something made it look somewhere between a 1590A and 1590B. lol Maybe I'm just tired.

Anyway, I dig it. Good stuff.

gordo

You're killin it lately.  Nice etch.  I really need to get into the game with the etch stuff, I really like the way it looks. 
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

That looks killer.  The etch adds to the retro vibe.

dawson

Quote from: gordo on January 16, 2020, 03:42:34 PM
You're killin it lately.  Nice etch.  I really need to get into the game with the etch stuff, I really like the way it looks. 

Thanks gordo, I've been having a lot of fun building and etching lately.  Personally I've decided that etching is the only way to go, just because I really like the subdued, understated look of the aluminum, they can get scratched and stepped on a bit without looking abused, I like them all to look congruent when they're together, but mainly I really, really don't like waiting for primer and paint and clear-coat to dry..

Quote from: Bio77 on January 17, 2020, 11:22:31 AM
That looks killer.  The etch adds to the retro vibe.

Thank you, Bio77!

gordo

I do too.  I really like the just-slightly-off-kilter-cool-pro look too.
Gordy Power

gordo

Plus isn't it cool when you stumble on something you weren't looking for in the first place?  It's one of the things I really like (hate) about this place.
Gordy Power

Leevibe

I really love the artwork and etch on this! So sweet with the stomp placement.

Ben N

Hotcake into an AC -- that's the Neil Finn lead recipe (along with a gold top Les Paul with mini-humbuckers or a Gretsch Firebird Jet and a Tweed Deluxe).