News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mudbunny mid control - need help

Started by joshcamp, November 14, 2011, 03:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshcamp

so i built the rams head version mudbunny.  sounds great but either the mid control doesnt work properly or it is very subtle..

i traced all the connections to the pot (25kb) and to the board and they all are clean and right.

so, before i remove the pot and replace, i thought i'd run this by y'all.

thoughts ?

madbean

Assuming nothing is wrong with the actual pot or wiring, you can always lower the value of R18 to get a wider range of mids control. The default value is 39k. Try lowering it to 27k. This means the mid point of the mids pot will get you that default value, which should widen the range of the control.

joshcamp

thanks!  I tried that, but still very subtle if at all audible.

the pot seems fine when measured.  it may be that i am listening to it on a small practice amp (ss) .  i'll test it at rehearsal tomorrow nite to see if i can hear the difference on a deluxe reverb or similar..

bigmufffuzzwizz

I too found at first with basic mod suggestions the mids knob was very subtle. I change R18 to 3.3k but you can go lower around 1k if you wish. Then change C10 from 4n to 12/15/22nf..I usually go with 22nf. You should get much more variation (mids scoop,flat,boosted) after these changes. Note this will only affect the treble side of the tone stack because of how its set up. Really helps to get rid of harsh high end and produce a much smoother tone even fully CW on tone knob. To get a real mids knob you'd have to do something like the james tone control.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

There is definitely no one size fits all solution for the mids pot. A socketed R19 is the way to go. I should add that to the build docs, if I have not already.

lloyd17

Yea I ended up socketing the entire tone stack, still playing around with parts values...

joshcamp

i ended up changing r18 to 3.3k and c10 to 22nf per bmfw's suggestions..  works great !

Thank you all !