News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mad Bean Headtrip w/ momentary knob mod

Started by dawson, January 25, 2020, 11:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm proud to humbly present my slightly-modified Mad Bean Headtrip FV-1 6-patch multi-effect:

This build functions just like a normal Headtrip, using the red, yellow, and blue knobs as P1, P0, and P2 respectively, but when the momentary footswitch on the left is activated, the Headtrip reads the POT value of the green knob for P1 instead of the red knob.  The red LED also switches off as 2 green LEDs mounted beneath it switch on to indicate which of the POTs is being read.

I implemented this mod because I'm in a band that's written a song with a delay part that needs extendable repeats, but I'm certain other uses will be found upon further experimentation.

Graphics etched on a 125B enclosure with ferric chloride
3d-printed 5mm riser, LED bracket, and interior washers

Thanks for the great project, Mad Bean,
& Thank you for reading!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mjg

That's a good idea, and nicely etched too!

jimilee

Daaaammn that enclosure is all kids of full, with kickass graphics. Nicely done. Is that a 125 b? The perspective throws me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

^^^Thanks guys!  I'm really enjoying this pedal and look forward to figuring out the EEPROM thing- the surface-mount soldering isn't nearly as difficult as it may seem to someone who's never tried, so I would encourage anyone interested but apprehensive about surface-mount to go ahead and try.

Quote from: jimilee on January 25, 2020, 02:43:02 PM
Daaaammn that enclosure is all kids of full, with kickass graphics. Nicely done. Is that a 125 b? The perspective throws me off.
Thanks jimilee, I'm super proud of the artwork & layout of this one- even though it took a bit of interior grinding and 5mm added to the height.  Yeah, it's a 125B.

TGP39

Absolutely Fantastic!  The mod is super clever.  Graphics are awesome...
Layout makes intuitive sense.   Wonderful.

~Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

EBK

Nice work!
Do you have any pics of your LED arrangement?  Your description makes me curious.

The correspondence between the knob color and the LED color is a really cool idea.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

MTK

Wow! That looks great. I'm new to the PCB game, I've been living in Veroland. I'm adding this board to my list of must have builds. Good stuff.

Bio77

That's super cool, another one for the collection!  I dig the aesthetic of your builds. 

dawson

Quote from: TGP39 on January 27, 2020, 07:51:56 PM
Absolutely Fantastic!  The mod is super clever.  Graphics are awesome...
Layout makes intuitive sense.   Wonderful.

~Steve
Thank you, Steve, you're very kind, as always!

Quote from: EBK on January 28, 2020, 06:22:44 AM
Nice work!
Do you have any pics of your LED arrangement?  Your description makes me curious.

The correspondence between the knob color and the LED color is a really cool idea.
Hey EBK, thanks!  The LEDs are arranged in a 3d-printed bracket that's held in place by the stomp switch- I'll be sure to take some better pictures next time I do something like this, which will probably be soon.

Quote from: MTK on January 28, 2020, 07:13:59 AM
Wow! That looks great. I'm new to the PCB game, I've been living in Veroland. I'm adding this board to my list of must have builds. Good stuff.
Veroland is a great place to be- I've never taken a long residence there, but I certainly enjoy frequent visits and appreciate the work of people like you who really excel with it.  Glad you're getting into the PCB game- they're both really great to work with in their own ways, and MBP boards are some of the nicest I've gotten my hands on.  I'll be looking forward to seeing your PCB builds!

Quote from: Bio77 on January 28, 2020, 10:37:22 AM
That's super cool, another one for the collection!  I dig the aesthetic of your builds. 
Thanks a lot, Bio77!  I spent a long time lurking around this forum looking at build reports before I ever started building frequently, taking note of cool techniques and tricks and graphics, forming an idea of how I want my builds to look, and I remember thinking plenty of times, "Oh yeah- this Bio77 guy likes what I like."  Anyhow, you're one of the many builders I've looked up to for awhile, and your work has certainly influenced my style, so I'm really glad you're digging my projects!