News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Sounds of the Mudbunny

Started by alanp, January 25, 2020, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

This thread is intended to archive what each variant of Big Muff sounds like.

For Juansolo's list of component values: http://80.229.1.38/stompage/Muffs.htm

I'll update the descriptions in this post with any descriptions posted below. So get to posting, people! :)

Ultrastoner
Designed by Juan to excel in the stoner rock sound.

1971 Triangle
Quote from: JuansoloA traced example of what it says on the tin. IMO one of the best sounding muffs out there. Can nail a lot of muff tones that people have in their heads.

Mad Professor Fire Red

TSM680
Quote from: JuansoloIt's rather aggressive. Tight on the lower stuff with a mild mid scoop. Yet it all stays nicely defined. Well, we like it anyhow.

Skreddy P19
Designed to cop Gilmour's tone on _Comfortably Numb_, if memory serves.

Skreddy Mayo
Designed to cop Smashing Pumpkin's tone on _Siamese Dream_

Skreddy ? Lady
Quote from: JuansoloThick sounding muff with a massive bottom end. Really rather lovely.

Dreamer

Ram's Head

Triangle

Civil War Russian

Green Russian

Third Edition

Violet Ram's Head

Foxy Lady
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

1971 Triangle - A traced example of what it says on the tin. IMO one of the best sounding muffs out there. Can nail a lot of muff tones that people have in their heads.

Skreddy ?Lady - Thick sounding muff with a massive bottom end. Really rather lovely.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Also that's an older version of the spreadsheet, the last one is here for the mudbunny and associated boards. It also has all the notes attached.

If you're building on either Grind's Ultrastoner board, or our Yorkshire Pi board (there are a couple out there...), this spreadsheet has even more.

FWIW my site is now on a Raspberry Pi under my TV and it appears to be super stable now (famous last words), so provided I don't change ISP, and I remember to keep logging into FreeDNS every now and then, juansolo.mooo.com should get you there and the spreadsheets live in Stompage under Muffage. That said, I haven't updated anything in ages... If anyone fancies adding to the sheets and wants to carry on, I'm happy to e-mail them over.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

TheDude

Welp, there goes every spendable dollar I'm going to make in 2020...

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

Muadzin

Quote from: TheDude on January 26, 2020, 10:42:28 AM
Welp, there goes every spendable dollar I'm going to make in 2020...

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

I had that same problem upon discovering KitRae's website. ;D

alanp

Keep replying with descriptions of how each permutation sounds, people! :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

IMHO opinion descriptions are fairly useless, because what sounds good to one sounds crap to another. They're also quite subjective. I've had guitarists say a pedal sounded spongy and I was like WTF does that mean and double WTF does that even sound like?

Might as well post youtube vids of Muff demos. A vid says more then a thousands words ever could. So here's a view Skreddy Muff vids:

Cognitive Dissonance III:

P19:

Top Fuel:

Lady?:

Mayonaise III:

Mayonaise II, Mayo and Cognitive Dissonance II:

Personally I like the P19 best for leads while I liked the Mayonaise III more for rhythm. And all my Muff builds were with the Skreddy mids switch mod, which I think should be mandatory on any Muff build. Especially since its such an easy mod that makes such a MASSIVE difference in a band mix.