News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Difference In Components

Started by skypn, January 25, 2020, 01:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

Working on my second project, less of a kit, more me bending circuits to my will.*
Is there a difference in sound quality between standard jacks and pcb mounted jacks, or is it just a matter of having more room in an enclosure.
Are all film caps the same? My first project used film caps that looked like huge red jelly beans. The ones I just got online look more like squares. Values and tolerances the same.
The same question about variable resistors/trim pots, first project called for ones that looked mostly like a plastic screw head to adjust, the ones I ordered more like squares with a little tiny screw to adjust resistance.
The reason I'm starting this hobby is not only I'm finding it cool to do this stuff, is to be able to build stuff with higher quality components. I've been ordering from Mouser to achieve this goal, but I am overwhelmed by the selection. Mostly I have NO idea which makers are better i.e. Earl makes the caps, John makes the transistors, etc.
*I'm trying to build a Bazz Fuzz with a blender function in a 1590b, because when I breadboard just the BF, even using big caps, I lose some of the Bass' umpth.
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

EBK

All jacks sound the same.
Film caps are all (basically) the same.  Size, lead spacing, voltage rating, and price are more important considerations than the type of film (my personal view anyway).
The trimpots with the tiny screw are multi-turn pots, which allow more precise adjustment.  As long as they fit on your board and in your enclosure, you are essentially free to use whatever components you want.  When ordering from Mouser, don't forget to check the physical size of the parts you are ordering.  It is very easy to accidentally order gigantic parts. 

I hope I've said something useful.  Keep asking questions.   :)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

287m

please, buy something like dca atlas or lcr tester, you can know instantly the real value

i care if all component fit in my layout, although always use box caps first if available, then MLCC. That why tool like lcr tester useful, we can choose the nearest exact value on schematic. Remember, value first.

its like a taste preference, some builder love panasonic ecq, some love tropical fish cap, some love axial cap. Its about taste, yeah, like building, some like in pcb, some in perf, some in vero, whatever you want, whatever you can. Its all about diy.

skypn

Yes, very helpful.
I plan on using the fact that the pots are pcb mounted to "mount" the pcb. Before I order pcb jacks, do you know off hand, do pcb mounted jacks have the same height profile or lower than pcb mount pots? Or is this a do your own homework sorta thing? I already have standard jacks

skypn

I don't know what the terms "box caps" or "MLCC" mean

skypn

Well, I don't like using pref, because I screw it up more if I have to re solder parts. I etch my own pcb, with decent results. Speaking of which I've been using Photoshop to plan out my pcb's as I find the learning curve on the pcb software too sharp, as I really know PS

jimilee

Quote from: skypn on January 25, 2020, 02:00:06 PM
I don't know what the terms "box caps" or "MLCC" mean
The MLCC are the orange ceramic caps and the box ones are the polyester chicklet looking ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

Lets not confuse mlcc (multi-layer ceramic capacitor) with dipped film caps.  Dipped (or conformal coated) is the form factor used for most mlcc caps but also for some film caps.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on January 25, 2020, 02:58:08 PM
Lets not confuse mlcc (multi-layer ceramic capacitor) with dipped film caps.  Dipped (or conformal coated) is the form factor used for most mlcc caps but also for some film caps.
Good point.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

davent

Quote from: skypn on January 25, 2020, 02:04:27 PM
Well, I don't like using pref, because I screw it up more if I have to re solder parts. I etch my own pcb, with decent results. Speaking of which I've been using Photoshop to plan out my pcb's as I find the learning curve on the pcb software too sharp, as I really know PS

If you're etching your own PCB's... i found ExpressPCB very easy to learn, seemed to parallel other CAD software that i was already familiar with, was very intuitive.

https://www.expresspcb.com/
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

skypn