News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD - my dad got me a present

Started by midwayfair, January 28, 2020, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Handmade by some Japanese luthier. It's a couple decades old, he picked it up off someone locally who had been stationed in Japan a while back and had it made. The picture doesn't do the inlay justice.

It's a short (23.5) scale and a OO size, and the strings are set a little closer than I'm used to, so it feels tiny and sounds kind of small, too. There's a buzz on the open D string (some resonance issue, but I can't find what's actually buzzing -- I can stop it by grabbing the headstock, and it doesn't happen when there's a capo on it or if I'm fretting the same note).

rockola

Gorgeous guitar. I'd check the D string nut slot, if it's not sloped enough it will buzz (the string should only touch the nut in one spot).

jjjimi84

MTK

Nice. I'd love to see a close-up of that inlay work.

jimilee

Wow, that is beautiful. I love the hummingbird inlays.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

I'll get some close-ups of the inlay in sunlight.

The buzz turned out to be the washer under the nut on the low E's tuning peg. Found it by putting a pencil eraser on every part of the headstock ...

Leevibe

That is otherworldly beautiful. Congrats! Good catch on the buzz.

Ben N

BrianS

That must be one of the nicest gifts you've gotten.  Beautiful instrument.

midwayfair

jimilee

That's truly stunning Jon. Is that mother of pearl and abalone?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

diablochris6

Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

alanp

Exquisite. Someone spent a lot of time on that inlay.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

MTK