News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4:1 Compressor Buzzing and Odd Voltages

Started by csermonet47, January 31, 2020, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csermonet47

So I finally got my lo-pro caps and was about to finish this thing up, but I am having some weird issues. It definitely compresses, but I am getting a faint fizzy sound that is driving me nuts. I double checked that all components and orientations are correct (not to say I couldn't have missed something). My solder joints looks good. I thought maybe it was a loose socket, so I soldered the ICs to the board but it didn't help. Lifted a couple pads on IC2, but I don't believe it is causing any issues. I started going through voltages so you can see them below. Any ideas on this thing? I started trying to poke around with an audio probe, but I am having a hard time tracing the signal through the schematic so I don't know how to pinpoint the problem area.

Build doc here: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/1590G/pdf/FourOne.pdf

jimilee

Have a look at PIN 2 on IC2 on the top of the board. Looks like it could use a reflow, but be careful not to overheat it, you didn't use sockets. The thin line is the audio and the thick is power. The schematic is super helpful too. If you look at the in, you can trace the audio. How do your voltages look?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

csermonet47

That is one of the pins that I had the solder pad lift on. I can flow some in from the top though. I have the exact same results has when I had it socketed, so I don't think that is causing the issue. It looks like the traces for that pin are on the bottom of the PCB. Voltages are posted above if you wanted to take a look. I will make another attempt at tracing to see if I cant get an idea of where something is wrong.