News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klein bottle smd chips check

Started by befey, February 01, 2020, 09:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befey

Just hand soldered the chips. Can anyone take a look and tell me if they look OK?

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/gallery/VcLUqC4

DLW

I would say, no, especially the top pins on the middle chip. Pin 8 on the right chip also looks suspect. The rest of the pins don't look great, but they'll probably work.

Use less solder and more flux. You'd be surprised how easy soldering is when you use a quality flux.

Sorry if this is too harsh. You'll get better with practice, I promise :)

jimilee

Quote from: befey on February 01, 2020, 09:06:10 AM
Just hand soldered the chips. Can anyone take a look and tell me if they look OK?

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/gallery/VcLUqC4

A. Where did you get a PCB, I've been thinking about getting one.
B. Check out youtube SMD soldering, there are some great tricks.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: jimilee on February 01, 2020, 09:54:06 AM

Looks like Peter's only selling it on Reverb currently:

https://reverb.com/item/29573650-vfe-pedals-klein-bottle-diy-kit

befey

Quote from: DLW on February 01, 2020, 09:49:52 AMSorry if this is too harsh. You'll get better with practice, I promise :)

Not too harsh. This is my first and hopefully only time hand soldering SMD chips.

I'll give them another pass and try to get some of the extra solder off.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

benny_profane

Quote from: jimilee on February 01, 2020, 02:21:30 PM
Quote from: benny_profane on February 01, 2020, 12:18:04 PM
Quote from: jimilee on February 01, 2020, 09:54:06 AM

Looks like Peter's only selling it on Reverb currently:

https://reverb.com/item/29573650-vfe-pedals-klein-bottle-diy-kit
Awesome man, thank you!

Yep. EBK and I have posted pretty extensively about the project if you wanna do some searching. It's very fun. You could have yr phasers phasing phasors while you manipulate the op amp phase inverter to phase the phasing!

....just don't touch SW5 on the 99.

jimilee

I'm all over that. Imma do the research and get one. The videos are insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordo

befey, I'd go the opposite route.  At some point the only decent ic's and transistors will all be surface mount so keep with it.  The thing that helped me the most is REALLY thin solder.  It's too annoying to use on thru hole parts because you have to feed too much of it, but for smd it's perfect.  I really need to pick up a flux pen too, I hear it helps immensely.  I was really impressed with the J201 smd quality in the Husky Boy build from here.  No worries about fakes or differences in specs.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

For soldering surface mount chips, I prefer the perhaps counterintuitive-sounding dragging method:  apply flux to the board, add the chips, then drag a huge glob of molten solder across each side, probably shorting the hell out of everything.  After that, a quick touch of copper solder braid wicks up the excess, and, after you clean the residual flux, you have perfectly soldered chips.  Easy and only takes a minute or so.

There are many pins on that board that are intentionally shorted.  You can't just go by appearances.  Compare to the schematic to make sure only the right ones are shorted.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

befey

Just getting back to this pedal after taking a break. I've done a continuity test on the SMD IC pins. I'm getting continuity between pins 1 and 2 on them. Based on the schematic, this seems reasonable.

The pins aren't actually labeled on the schematic. But looking at the 1602 and 1604 pinouts and comparing with the direct connections on the schematic, I think I'm ok.

Does that seem right?

EBK

Going purely from memory, that sounds right.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

There are pictures on build reports or one of us can take one if you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk