News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Surprise! - Brian May Treble Boost

Started by TheDude, February 02, 2020, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude

Well, at least a surprise to me. I had originally built a Brian May Treble Boost on a Tonepad PCB, but for some reason was getting no output. Well, about a week ago while scouring various pedal related suppliers that I don't often check out, I found another BMTB pcb on FuzzDog's website. Since I was already planning on order a few parts from them, I figured I'd throw in the board as well. Coming from the UK to the American Midwest, shipping was shockingly fast. Arrived on Friday, and for the first time I populated, tested, and boxed up a board in a single day. (It does help that the enclosure was finished back in late 2017 so there was no time spent on that.) The board fired up great. Was also my first time going smaller than a 1590B, this being a 1590G. Definitely gave me the confidence to try some similar sized boards in a 1590A, so may see some of those coming in 2021. A treble boost it most certainly is, but really doesn't harm the lows either which is great. A touch brittle sounding, but I've only very briefly experimented with it. I think the graphics are pretty self explanatory, though the picture doesn't really do it much justice, particularly the dark bits. Basically, after I painted it, I took a lighter to it to give it a bit of a burnt out look. In person it looks much more worn and aged.

The dude abides

jimilee

Nice, how does it sound? I was thinking about building one before I built a Rangemaster.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TheDude

Quote from: jimilee on February 02, 2020, 10:59:08 AM
Nice, how does it sound? I was thinking about building one before I built a Rangemaster.
Honestly I'm quite enjoying it. My set up is quite dark (Orange Micro Dark head, 1x12 cab with a 75hz greenback) and this guy has brightened that sound right up. Really enjoy the sound of it feeding into a Green Russian, into my IC muff I definitely wanted to keep the tone bypassed or else it got a bit brittle sounding when I would kick on the BMTB. Fuzzdog also has an '83 BMTB that I want to try out as well.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

jimilee

Quote from: TheDude on February 02, 2020, 11:54:37 AM
Honestly I'm quite enjoying it. My set up is quite dark (Orange Micro Dark head, 1x12 cab with a 75hz greenback) and this guy has brightened that sound right up. Really enjoy the sound of it feeding into a Green Russian, into my IC muff I definitely wanted to keep the tone bypassed or else it got a bit brittle sounding when I would kick on the BMTB. Fuzzdog also has an '83 BMTB that I want to try out as well.

I was thinking about building the Greg Frierson one on vero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TheDude

Quote from: jimilee on February 02, 2020, 12:33:34 PM
Quote from: TheDude on February 02, 2020, 11:54:37 AM

I was thinking about building the Greg Frierson one on vero.

Hmm, can't seem to find that one in a quick google and youtube search.

I honestly would be adding this one to my board without question, except the board I'm currently working on is desert/stoner rock focused so its iffy.

The dude abides

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

QuoteI was thinking about building the Greg Frierson one on vero.
I've built that one, works fine.

https://paulinthelab.blogspot.com/2013/03/greg-fryer-brian-may-treble-booster.html

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on February 03, 2020, 02:02:20 AM
QuoteI was thinking about building the Greg Frierson one on vero.
I've built that one, works fine.

https://paulinthelab.blogspot.com/2013/03/greg-fryer-brian-may-treble-booster.html
Cool, I was also looking at tag board, I like the way this one looks.

TheDude

Quote from: alanp on February 02, 2020, 09:05:54 PM
I'm really diggin' this. 8)
Thanks Alan!

The dude abides

mauzau