News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

CA3080? For Ross style compressor

Started by nzCdog, February 06, 2020, 05:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzCdog

Hey all!  :)

I'm hoping to build a sweet little compressor pcb which Jason (jubal81) kindly sent me... several years ago!
It needs a CA3080 OTA, I was wondering are those cheap ones on eBay legit?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

gordo

Kind of a crap shoot.  If it's socketed and they're cheap it can't hurt.  Plan B could be to pick up the real thing from Small Bear.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

somnif

In my experience, the handful of 3080's Ive bought from Ebay have all, to a one, been fake/dead. But I'm just one data point.

There are a number of webshops that have genuine chips in stock, but not sure if that will be your best option (depending on shipping and pricing and whatnot)

nzCdog

Thanks for the replies amigos! :)
Sounds like it is as I suspected with eBay then.  Trying to keep the cost down because student... And smallbear is out of stock from what I can tell.  I hear there are workalikes out there, might have to do some more research

tcpoint

You can sub the CA3080 for the LM3080.  National licensed the design.  If there are any differences, they are minimal.

nzCdog

Thanks tcpoint.  I decided to take a punt with a LM3080 from eBay. ;D

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Betty Wont

NorthCoast

https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/10/emma-transmorgrifier.html

"This daughterboard can be used with any of the effects in this blog which use the CA3080, including the MXR DynaComp, Ross Compressor and Keeley Compressor."
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

nzCdog

Cheers all.  Good to know the other options in case eBay fails :)

jimilee

Quote from: NorthCoast on February 07, 2020, 09:53:10 AM
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/10/emma-transmorgrifier.html

"This daughterboard can be used with any of the effects in this blog which use the CA3080, including the MXR DynaComp, Ross Compressor and Keeley Compressor."
Does anyone make the Emma PCB? I've been thinking about building one for about 4 years now. That's a lot of vero. I could do it, but I'd like not to. Hi jack over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

skyled

Is it possible to split the LM13700 into two separate CA3080's? I've only ever seen it with one of the CA3080's being used.

alanp

The LM13700 comes with two OTA, independant. Most "adaptor" boards use only one.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

I bought mine from small bear, I'm building a comp also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.