News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Midwell - Custom wooden enclosure content

Started by storyboardist, February 07, 2020, 07:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storyboardist

A couple weeks ago I went to a house show/EP release party of a local band my brother-in-law works with (he does marketing/web stuff for them). Got to talking gear with the guitarist afterwards and we hit it off. Decided last weekend I wanted to make him a pedal. I ended up going way over board with this, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and he was super excited about it. Having quite the dad sense of humor and loving puns, I decided to build a mids EQ (Catalinbread VarioBoost clone) as the band name is Midwell.  ;D A couple years ago I'd started this wooden enclosure with a bent steel top that's just been sitting on my bench collecting dust, so I made the back cover and a plate for the jacks. I drew up custom layout in Eagle and added Steve Demedash's Incandenza relay bypass. Used my resin 3D printer to make the name badge (which got buggered in assembly  >:( ) and threw on some big ol' chrome/black knobs from BLMS.

An in process shot:

Guts:

Finished:

I'm going to redo the name badge as the screw holes were just a bit off and made the lower edge bend upwards, not to mention gashing the lower line of text with a screwdriver. But he's excited to use and they're going into the studio in a few weeks, so hopefully it'll be a useful tool in that process. Here's their Spotify link if anyone fancies a listen: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6vHP2UiHTuZKRBVhtx2nFe
Guy behind Effects Layouts

jimilee

Very very neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

I mean, just wow!!
That is pretty much perfect in every way.

dawson

Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

TGP39

Such a beautiful build.  I love that Incandena relay bypass that Steve does.  Nice touch.
~Steve
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

rockola

That's what I call a boutique build. Next stop, dovetail joints.

Stomptown

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

DLW

Very elegant! I'm especially loving that jack mount plate.

nzCdog

cooder

Style and all! Perfect and the name plate is the icing!
I have a Varioboost on my board as well and it's a permanent fixture. Great circuit!
BigNoise Amplification

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

Bret608

That is beautiful! It looks like it would have some kind of crazy octave fuzz in it.

Bio77

selfdestroyer

I have seen this thing 4 other times from you and it still wows me.. Looks amazing!