News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

v3207 Modded Ultraflanger

Started by thomasha, February 07, 2020, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 12, 2020, 10:26:37 AM

I never stop to be amazed by your work. no idea how the pcb fits with jacks and stomp... :o
This! It must be all an optical illusion like they do in movies where they make things look bigger or smaller than they are... optical sorcery... it must be...
Insanely well done!
BigNoise Amplification

diablochris6

What is this, a pedal for ants? The pedal has to be at least three times bigger than this!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

thomasha

Finally took some time to make a video of it

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

nzCdog

thomasha

Hi guys!
Because this build ended up receiving lots of votes, I decided to make a small PDF with some extra tips, in case someone wants to build one too.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrmpvlmfmwrq113/Ultraflanger_thomasha.pdf?dl=0

In case you want to make your own layout, or make some changes, I also added the eagle files I used.

jimilee

If it could somehow be smaller.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I'm even more impressed, now, at the supreme cramming of things you pull off!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Coldjoiner

I have built it, the flanger is audible, but it doesn't oscillate automatically, there is no "swoooooossshhh" sound .. to get the "swoooooossshhh" sound like your flanger.  I had to rotate the RATE pot to the right and the left repeatedly.  where is the problem?  i don't know because i am a beginner.  sorry for that and also for my english.  Thank you.  greetings from Indonesia :-[  ;)

m-Kresol

Quote from: Coldjoiner on April 12, 2021, 12:01:53 AM
I have built it, the flanger is audible, but it doesn't oscillate automatically, there is no "swoooooossshhh" sound .. to get the "swoooooossshhh" sound like your flanger.  I had to rotate the RATE pot to the right and the left repeatedly.  where is the problem?  i don't know because i am a beginner.  sorry for that and also for my english.  Thank you.  greetings from Indonesia :-[  ;)

sounds like your oscillator is not oscillating? please follow the guidelines in the tech-help section so we can help you properly. Measure voltages of all ICs and post some pictures please. Did you test it outside the enclosure?

choosing a "nano"-project for a start might not be the best way to go. I would encourage you to try something easier and bigger to begin with, if you cannot get this one going.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

thomasha

Hi,
that sounds like the LFO. Do you have any oscillation at the speed knob?

thomasha

Hi again,
I just finished a second one, and found some mistakes in the eagle file (I already corrected the PDF).
The mistake was, that I had both a 10k 10k voltage divider and a 10k 3.9v Zener divider in the schematic and in the layout.

My suggestion is: use the zener and adjust the 10k resistor if necessary. The 10k+10k voltage divider will not be enough to keep the voltage at 3.9v.

It will depend on the OpAmp used for the LFO.

The TL062 is the best choice here (the TL022 is not that common I guess), the zener and the 10k resistor will work, worst case you will have to decrease the resistor to achieve the 3.9v. 

The TL072 will also work,but the resistor has to be 1k instead of 10k, otherwise the zener wont be able to draw enough current to keep the voltage at 3.9v and it will drop, turning the LFO off.

In this build I tried to use a RC4558 as the LFO OpAmp (The only damn thing I had left) and it was really bad. It stopped alone at frequencies below 1Hz, and I definetely want my jet sound to be way slower. It also required the 1k+3.9v zener to keep the voltage at 3.9v.

I tried reading a little bit about how I could improve the LFO for such a bad chip (I had designed a LFO for a 12AU7 before), but I only had a couple of days to finish this one (its a gift to a friend), so that I did not had the time to read/simulate stuff. Actually, the simulation was always more stable (it always oscillated, even at 0.05Hz) than the LFO in my build. As a last resort I just removed a TL072 from another build (good times, I still used sockets) and that improved the LFO. So with the values in the schematic the RC4558 as a LFO is a bad choice.

To conclude, I would definitely check the LFO chip and the voltage at the pin 1 of the DEPTH/WIDTH potentiometer. It has to be 3.9v no matter what.

If someone has some nice reading material about LFOs and how to increase the stability (in this case the oscillation, lack of stability?) of the LFO so that I could also use the 4558 at low frequencies (below 1Hz), I will be very happy.

Coldjoiner

wow.. very cool.. thanks a lot thomas.. this is a great pedal.. this is awesome..

by the way, i use opamp TL062 for lfo.. but it seems the sweep feels not wide enough.. i try to replace it with TL072  but the reaction is still the same ..

maybe I will check the voltage on each leg of the IC another time ..

hmmm .. any tips and ways to make the sweep wide ..?  thanks a lot thomas..

thomasha

Hi,
check if the the voltage are correct. As said, the bias should be around 3.9v. The tl062 worked better in my builds, with less voltage variations in the bias.
You can also adjust the circuit of the LFO to increase the sweep, but watch out, or it might get unstable and just stop the LFO, so make some tests with different values with small changes.

Coldjoiner

a thousand thanks for the advice, thomas.  I adjusted the resistor as per your suggestion.  I still use a 10K+10K voltage divider.  I just adjusted the 10K resistor that supplies the 3V9 zener voltage.  I used 1K8 resistors.  with a 1K8 resistor, it will produce a bias of around 3.92V.  with TL062, it oscillates very very well.  the strokes are a bit wider and I'm fine with that.  As a beginner this is a pedal that is quite difficult to build.  but this is a great first collection of diy pedals for me.  once again thanks a lot thomas.  sorry for my english.