News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stage Fright

Started by madbean, November 16, 2011, 12:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Here's the update on this one. I am in the middle of building up the last prototype. The first build up above is an 8-stage phaser based around the old Maestro one. It has switchable stages 2-8. However, after I built that one, I found out that I REALLY LOVED subbing in the univbe caps in four stages. It sounds f'n AWESOME!

The problem is fitting that into the existing 8-stage design proved to be difficult, at least if you want to switch between univibe and phaser modes.

What followed was a freakin hard time of figuring out how to integrate the two ideas. What I found was that it was pretty near impossible to fit 8 switchable stages AND the univbe mod into a 1590BB without making some serious comprises in the layout.

So, this newest version is 6 stages and lets you pick 2, 4, 5 and 6 stages and uses a 4PDT to toggle the phaser and univibe modes in the first four stages. It also might have some cool blinking lights.

Anyway, I'm giving all this detail just to illustrate the process a bit more. LaceSensor mentioned a few weeks ago that transparency in the project development would be welcome, so maybe I should start up a new section of the forum that explains the process I go through in working on things...as a teaching tool? I dunno. Feels weird to say that!

jkokura

I'm trying to work out in my brain how to get that speed switch foot controllable. That setup with all three controls AND the bypass all done by footy... Wow.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Smeero

Quote from: jkokura on January 25, 2012, 08:15:55 PM
I'm trying to work out in my brain how to get that speed switch foot controllable. That setup with all three controls AND the bypass all done by footy... Wow.

Jacob

I agree. The stage phaser had a huge footprint though,  if you do figure it out it would  have to be one of your favorite pedals to take up all that room.

Scruffie

Quote from: madbean on January 25, 2012, 08:10:31 PM
LaceSensor mentioned a few weeks ago that transparency in the project development would be welcome, so maybe I should start up a new section of the forum that explains the process I go through in working on things...as a teaching tool? I dunno. Feels weird to say that!
I think that'd be cool, it'd allow for a bit of back and forth during the design process to get it featured/designed for the end users preference too, as long as it didn't lead to threads with 100 'Can you stick this in it!' posts.

Plus it would give us all a chance to drool over things while waiting for them to be released.

Anyway, this sounds awesome! Does the stage phaser have any regen capabilities? Just curious.
Works at Lectric-FX

jimmybjj

Quote from: madbean link=topic=3071.msg32627#msg32627date

Anyway, I'm giving all this detail just to illustrate the process a bit more. LaceSensor mentioned a few weeks ago that transparency in the project development would be welcome, so maybe I should start up a new section of the forum that explains the process I go through in working on things...as a teaching tool? I dunno. Feels weird to say that!

I think that would be awesome!
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

being a former industrial designer I would love to see a page with concept to finished project details. I think it would help everybody with both the how's and why's of electronics design.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

pietro_moog

Quote from: madbean on January 25, 2012, 08:10:31 PM
Here's the update on this one. I am in the middle of building up the last prototype. The first build up above is an 8-stage phaser based around the old Maestro one. It has switchable stages 2-8. However, after I built that one, I found out that I REALLY LOVED subbing in the univbe caps in four stages. It sounds f'n AWESOME!

The problem is fitting that into the existing 8-stage design proved to be difficult, at least if you want to switch between univibe and phaser modes.

What followed was a freakin hard time of figuring out how to integrate the two ideas. What I found was that it was pretty near impossible to fit 8 switchable stages AND the univbe mod into a 1590BB without making some serious comprises in the layout.

So, this newest version is 6 stages and lets you pick 2, 4, 5 and 6 stages and uses a 4PDT to toggle the phaser and univibe modes in the first four stages. It also might have some cool blinking lights.

cool. so, is this revision the released one in february? i don't understand..

ckim715

Just when I think my pedalboard is done, Brian, you make something like this. My brain=
-Charlie

madbean

Quote from: ckim715 on January 26, 2012, 03:47:05 PM
Just when I think my pedalboard is done, Brian, you make something like this. My brain=

I probably shouldn't mention the potential integration with some of the Molten Voltage CV IC's they make. Who doesn't want a tap tempo phaser, I ask?

mattc

Tap Tempo, you say?   Blinky lights, you say?

Sign me up!!

lloyd17

Hell I'd wig right out if I could get a PCB just for that molten voltage chip.

sgmezei

Holy Crap this is sounding amazing!

JakeFuzz

Oh man, I was satisfied with my Warhead vibe but now I need to build this thing. That would be super cool if you could integrate the MV cv chip. Are there any other weird features in those LFO chips? Different waveforms could be interesting.

Haberdasher

Man, can I just say I'm looking forward to this project more than......anything?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

LaceSensor

super excited for this