News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

V2 Switching board issue

Started by quazimoto, March 10, 2020, 04:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quazimoto

Greetings! I just finished up building the Triumvirate and went to test it and of course no sound when the effect is on. Went to start testing the IC's and realized I was only getting 6 volts. Removed the V+ lead from the effect board and had 6v coming from the V+ off the switching board. When I measure before the inductor I get 9v. After I get 6v. If I pull the inductor out of circuit before the node/split it shows 9v on both sides of it. Any ideas where to trouble shoot next?

madbean

I think you've already solved it. That inductor is walloping your DC supply. Did you use the one suggested in the build doc? Your total drop with no load (no audio circuit) should be around 300mV, certainly not 3v. With a load the V+/- will drop a bit further but again not too much.

If you are using a good supply then it would not be an issue to simply jumper through in the inductor spot or maybe use a 22R-47R resistor in its place. Only other thing that might be an issue is the charge pump. Any subs there?

quazimoto

No substitution. This is the second VFE pedal if have built and the first one works fine. I did try to jumper the inductor spot and the correct voltage was then applied to everything but still no sound. I can hear the pots working. I will try and get some voltage readings from the IC's and whip up an audio probe to see where the signal is traveling

quazimoto

Turns out a few of the pins from the effects board IC were grounding out on the back of the pots. In lieu of the plastic pot covers I had used a thick double sided foam tape to keep the pots hitting the board. Apparently not thick enough. Effect is now working fine!