News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Parts Plus minimum quantity 25 ???

Started by pietro_moog, February 10, 2020, 03:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 13, 2020, 04:52:39 AM
Quote from: culturejam on February 12, 2020, 01:13:14 PM
I think PPP has transitioned to being a supplier to "boutique" builders who order larger quantities. Not sure about any other ones you might be thinking of.

Boutique builders want to get the lowest prices possible. They are going to Chinese bulk manufacturers/distributors.

I'm thinking of:

4Site: Initially offered powdered enclosures. Went to a bulk system. Eventually folded and spawned....
Mammoth: Went to selling bulk (not everything) and where are they now?

Just a few examples.

We still have Tayda and SBE. There ar eothers however, those 2 are the most commonly used. Try to remember that a lot of us do not 'build-to-sell' so Tayda is a good option.

To be fair I believe there are several companies who make sure their stuff is built in the USA. Wampler and Earthquaker come to mind but I know there are others.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 14, 2020, 09:12:42 AM
To be fair I believe there are several companies who make sure their stuff is built in the USA. Wampler and Earthquaker come to mind but I know there are others.

Honestly... "Built in the USA" can mean a LOT of things.

American car companies stamp "Built in the USA" on a lot of their vehicles however, if you look under the hood you will see a lot of "Made in China" or "Heche en Mexico."

Strategy

Maybe it's time to go to a Group Buys model like the forms sometimes do with PCB's?
P

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 14, 2020, 10:01:16 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on February 14, 2020, 09:12:42 AM

Honestly... "Built in the USA" can mean a LOT of things.

American car companies stamp "Built in the USA" on a lot of their vehicles however, if you look under the hood you will see a lot of "Made in China" or "Heche en Mexico."

You are right that "Built in the USA" often means a lot of things, but really it shouldn't.  There are hard defined rules by the FTC on what constitutes "Made in the USA."  For electronics (pedals included), it's incredibly difficult to quality for true Made in the USA status because the majority of electronic components are not manufactured in the US.  To my knowledge, even most enclosures are manufactured out of the US (I believe Hammond is strictly Canada, but it's possible they have a US presence).

Wampler and Earthquaker are more certainly "Assembled in the USA" which is still a differentiator vs. "Made in China."  If they are able to source enclosures locally, they would still likely only qualify for "Assembled (or Build) in the USA with Foreign and Domestic Parts."

Now, many companies claim full "Made in the USA" status, even though it's actually an enforceable FTC violation, they just haven't been dinged because they've slid under the radar.  Others use language more vaguely with claims like "Hand Crafted in the USA" or "Bespoke, Artisanal Pedals Lovingly Built in the USA" which somewhat implies that it was built in the USA with US-sourced parts, but really just means that it was assembled here.

I'd love to see that car example in real life as that would be a clear violation of the FTC rules and car makes are generally big enough to be noticed.

That's probably more than anybody wanted to know, but oh well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper