News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Parts Plus minimum quantity 25 ???

Started by pietro_moog, February 10, 2020, 03:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

I just found out that Pedal Parts Plus only sells enclosures with the minimun quantity of 25  :'(

Leevibe

Yeah. It's a big downer. Somebody around here posted awhile back with a link to a vape mod shop that sells powder coated enclosures. It may be a good solution. I wish I could remember the place. I'll post a link if I find it. Also stomptown was showing me that smallbear has some new colors.

Invertiguy

https://www.modzbynasy.com/ is the site you're thinking of. It's a good solution and they offer an incredible selection of colors, but unfortunately they only offer a handful of enclosure sizes, most of which have been out of stock for some time. Definitely something to keep tabs on though, with enough interest from the DIY pedal community there's always the chance that they'll expand their offerings in the future.
Doomsday Devices

harryklippton

I recently wanted to buy some blems from PPP and they also instated a $50 minimum order on everything.

Govmnt_Lacky

Food for thought... Learn to love Tayda!

Whatever happened to all those sites that started catering to the DIY community and then went the "minimum order quantity" route?

benny_profane

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 11, 2020, 05:06:29 AM

Whatever happened to all those sites that started catering to the DIY community and then went the "minimum order quantity" route?

Margins are tight no matter what. The time spent fulfilling a bunch of small orders of powder coating vs big batches is cost-prohibitive. There's a lot of time spent in setup for one-offs. That paired with the time spent with à la carte component purchases and the large volume of small shipments to send out, I can understand why it would be tough to maintain that model. Bulk sales are easier for purchasing/stocking and scheduling, as well as being easier for fulfillment. Many of the companies that do/did offer low-volume sales are very small operations.

It's definitely a shame to not have the previously available resources, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

Aentons

pickdropper

The problem is that the finishing on Tayda enclosures just isn't as good.  If you do your own powder coating it probably doesn't matter as the enclosures seem fine.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: Invertiguy on February 10, 2020, 09:41:10 PM
https://www.modzbynasy.com/ is the site you're thinking of. It's a good solution and they offer an incredible selection of colors, but unfortunately they only offer a handful of enclosure sizes, most of which have been out of stock for some time. Definitely something to keep tabs on though, with enough interest from the DIY pedal community there's always the chance that they'll expand their offerings in the future.

Yeah. I think that's the one.

That's not going to happen for me. I will occasionally use them for some stuff. Powder coated enclosures? I don't see it.

Quote from: harryklippton on February 11, 2020, 04:57:14 AM
I recently wanted to buy some blems from PPP and they also instated a $50 minimum order on everything.

It was nice knowing you PPP. All the best.

thesmokingman

I see Mammoth looks to be setting up a new website ... hope they reopen with a focus on not messing up my order
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

culturejam

I think PPP has transitioned to being a supplier to "boutique" builders who order larger quantities. Not sure about any other ones you might be thinking of.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

TheDude

Really a huge bummer to see. I wish they had given a heads up so I could have grabbed a bunch of random colors before they made the change.

Also noticed, they dropped a ton of the components they were once selling. I've deleted my bookmark to their site. It's a bummer.

The good news personally is I've reached into other websites I haven't before, like Fuzz Dog and Pedal Hacker.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: culturejam on February 12, 2020, 01:13:14 PM
I think PPP has transitioned to being a supplier to "boutique" builders who order larger quantities. Not sure about any other ones you might be thinking of.

Boutique builders want to get the lowest prices possible. They are going to Chinese bulk manufacturers/distributors.

I'm thinking of:

4Site: Initially offered powdered enclosures. Went to a bulk system. Eventually folded and spawned....
Mammoth: Went to selling bulk (not everything) and where are they now?

Just a few examples.

We still have Tayda and SBE. There ar eothers however, those 2 are the most commonly used. Try to remember that a lot of us do not 'build-to-sell' so Tayda is a good option.

pickdropper

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 13, 2020, 04:52:39 AM
Quote from: culturejam on February 12, 2020, 01:13:14 PM

Boutique builders want to get the lowest prices possible. They are going to Chinese bulk manufacturers/distributors.

I'm thinking of:

4Site: Initially offered powdered enclosures. Went to a bulk system. Eventually folded and spawned....
Mammoth: Went to selling bulk (not everything) and where are they now?

Just a few examples.

We still have Tayda and SBE. There ar eothers however, those 2 are the most commonly used. Try to remember that a lot of us do not 'build-to-sell' so Tayda is a good option.

I've looked into buying directly from China.  It's usually a pretty significant investment to hit the MOQs.  PPP can be tough to deal with at times, but many boutique builders still don't want to buy 1000 enclosures at a clip, so PPP fills that middle void.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Aentons

But what about one-off suppliers... Are there any left(other than tayda)? Wasn't there discussion on another post about someone may start stocking limited colors?