News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Moar low voltage(SOLVED)

Started by Gbiggs1986, February 10, 2020, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gbiggs1986

Second build and it kinda works! I'm only getting 2.9v on the pins on the ic instead of 4.5v. It sounds pretty good until I flip over to hard clipping then when I get the gain up to about 12 o'clock it starts sputtering and sounding broken. I've narrowed it down to r10. On one side I have 9.4v and the other is 2.9v, so I figured the resistor was bad and installed a new one with the same result. Any help would be appreciated. This is my 2nd attempt at building and at least this one makes sound!

somnif

Can you give us a picture of the board? That can help us diagnose things.

Gbiggs1986

somnif

Hmm, ok, that is odd. Are you getting the full 9~ volts on pin 8?

R10 and R11 are set up as a voltage divider. Since they're the same resistance, they should halve the voltage, so 9.4V in should result in about ~4.7V out.

Far as I can tell in your picture, all your resistors are the correct values, so nothing is physically out of place. (One side of R11 does look a little odd in the pic, to me, maybe double check the solder joints on either side just to be safe.)

If you are getting less voltage, that may suggest you have a short somewhere in there. Does the voltage you see change with turning of either control?

Gbiggs1986

I have 9v at pin 8 on the ic. The voltage doesn't change when I turn the pots. It does go from 2.9 with the switch in hard clipping to 3.7 when I switch it to soft clipping.

Gbiggs1986

Solved!! It was a rookie move! I forgot to clean of all the flux and it was shorting the whole board. As soon as I cleaned it with some alcohol all my voltages to the chip were where they were supposed to be. This thing sounds good!

somnif

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted  ;D