News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

D9E Diodes

Started by jalmonsalmon, February 12, 2020, 08:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalmonsalmon

Wow... Go search those diodes now. My 2 cents...  Klone peeps out there better get those while you can before they are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

jimilee

Are these the magic unicorn tears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

Quote from: jimilee on February 13, 2020, 05:05:08 AM

I think it BYOC who measured the magic unicorn tears and declared that the D9E was as close as you could get.

jimilee

Quote from: Muadzin on February 13, 2020, 06:17:23 AM

I think it BYOC who measured the magic unicorn tears and declared that the D9E was as close as you could get.
Pedalhackers has 10 for like 7.00. Ordered.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MTK

Dude... That's hilarious.

thesmokingman

I'll go grab them from the russians and get hassled by usps when they finally show up ...  overdue for restocking my germaniums
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

midwayfair

stahhhhhhhp.

The klon diodes are just 1N34A. There's no speculation, Bill F told everyone on The Gear Page.

Please stop using up cheap Russian diodes with a .27 forward voltage telling people they're magic in some stupid overdrive pedal, they're more useful in designs that need the lower forward voltage.

p.s. I know something about this first hand. I once told people on this forum I liked how a diode sounded in a klone and the next thing I knew they were bought out from ebay and cost like $5 each, and those weren't even remotely close to a 1N34A (they were much higher fv).

alanp

The best kind of clipping diodes are the ones you can easily get. If you don't monkey with the circuit values, and use the right type of diode (ie, not a germanium (any Ge) when it wants a high Fv LED), you're going to get pretty darn close to the original builder's sound.

It's too easy to get trapped in psycho acoustics, diminishing returns, and that phenomenon where one's opinion is close to, "I spent a lot of money on these, I don't want to feel like a complete mug... wow, these really do sound great!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Betty Wont

Quote from: midwayfair on February 13, 2020, 07:55:28 PM
stahhhhhhhp.

Please stop using up cheap Russian diodes with a .27 forward voltage telling people they're magic in some stupid overdrive pedal, they're more useful in designs that need the lower forward voltage.

^this, so much this^

Scruffie

I'm not big in to Klon's but I thought the consensus was that magic diodes (firmly with Jon on this) or not, no one really liked the clipping sound all that much anyway?
Works at Lectric-FX

jimilee

Unicorn tears

thesmokingman

I can buy them in bulk cheap enough from Russia/Ukraine and they've got a useful Vf ... don't really care about the unicorn tears aspect of it.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

EBK

I wondered briefly if unicorn turds are as magically useful as their tears, but then I remembered the Squatty Potty video....
[Youtube width=450]YbYWhdLO43Q[/youtube]
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

playpunk

stahhhhhhhp.

The klon diodes are just 1N34A. There's no speculation, Bill F told everyone on The Gear Page.

p.s. I know something about this first hand. I once told people on this forum I liked how a diode sounded in a klone and the next thing I knew they were bought out from ebay and cost like $5 each, and those weren't even remotely close to a 1N34A (they were much higher fv).

You jerk!

I had to get 10 OA116's instead of the REALLY GOOD diodes and I'm still upset about it!

"my legend grows" - playpunk

Muadzin

stahhhhhhhp.

I pretty much use D9E's for everything that requires a germanium diode because they are pretty much the cheapest germanium diode I can get. Can't remember when was the last time I saw an affordable 1N34A.