News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

But why toilet paper and not food?

Started by jimilee, March 14, 2020, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Having bought the same brand, packaging and number of rolls of toilet paper for many years, have never paid any attention or given a thought to what it might say on the packaging. Now scrounging around for some have discovered the contained 'number of rolls' printed in huge print on the package is the number actual rolls multiplied by the number of  plies per roll...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Yep, it's slightly confusing and implies math. You're pretty sure they're taking advantage of you but you aren't  sure how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

The TP-Apocalypse has, reportedly, come to Wanganui. (No Corona in-city yet, but everyone follows the news.)

Personally, I'm not changing my shopping habits. I'm waiting 'til the weekend. By then, at least, the shops will have had several trucks arrive with more stuff :D

A few guys at work were talking about how they should get some homebrew kits (for while they're in quarantine.) I guess I'm ahead of the curve 8)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

davent

Last night's new diy project...

https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_to_Local_Production.pdf

Only made 100ml which was just right for the two bottles i filled.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

How long do you think the public can keep up this buying frenzy? This junk ain't going away anytime soon.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I have a strong suspicion that a lot of kids are going to get very, very sick of pasta, a lot of adults will try and figure out how to cook pasta for the first time in their lives, and a lot of dustmen are going to wonder why their dustcarts have so much pasta in them.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Scruffie

Quote from: jimilee on March 18, 2020, 11:38:41 AM
How long do you think the public can keep up this buying frenzy? This junk ain't going away anytime soon.

My guess? It'll probably only be about 7-14 days depending on where you're located before it dawns on people this is around for the long haul and hoarding wont protect them, but it'll feel like an eternity. A lot of people will probably end up catching it, recovering and then feeling slightly ashamed of themselves, I hope.

Some rationing is starting to be introduced here, limits of 3 of any items, it's a shame it was needed, even though it wasn't surprising. But I think the worst of it is starting to die down now anyway, although I still expect some shortages due to people buying stuff they actually need but couldn't get.

Quote from: alanp on March 18, 2020, 09:09:26 PM
a lot of adults will try and figure out how to cook pasta for the first time in their lives
Who the hell doesn't know how to cook pasta? I'm not saying it's high class cuisine but even students can make pasta and ketchup and well, kids love ketchup.
Works at Lectric-FX

Philthy

Well here in Oz things are quite mad. Where I am, chest freezers and garden sheds have sold out because people are using them to hoard their stuff. I shit you not.

Thankfully the supermarkets have reduced their hours to allow for more re-stocking time and the first hour of every day is for pensioners/vulnerable customers only. After 5 attempts, we managed to buy half a dozen rolls of toilet paper, some meat and pasta this morning.

somnif

After 3 days of searching I managed to buy some potatoes today! Hooray! ....I feel that getting unreasonably excited about potatoes is my Irish blood showing. But, this means I can make my curry now, so huzzah.

I'll admit, I only wanted a few, and had to buy a 10lb bag. I legitimately feel bad about buying groceries I am going to use over time rather than buying the bare minimum, this sucks.  :-\

EBK

Although hoarding is unnecessary and potentially harmful, sensible stocking up is useful in this situation.  If you are just getting started with the virus in your area, expect restaurants and bars to eventually close and social distancing to become the new normal.  If you can skip a future grocery store visit or two, that would probably help out a bit.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber