News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Doombutter LDR help

Started by lincolnic, November 14, 2011, 07:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

Hi guys.

I asked about this briefly in the main Doombutter thread, but I'm still a bit confused about what to put in this pedal. If I'm using an LDR, I need an LED to shine on it, right? Is that what D2 is for here? Can I use a vactrol in place of the LED/LDR combo? Any reasons to do one or the other?

Thanks a lot.

bigmufffuzzwizz

You can use either. The Led/LDR combo is a cheaper direction to take, I used a superbright and the only photoresistor that tayda sells. Total was about .35 cents! A vactrol will put you out a few bucks, can't comment on whether it will work better though. My Doombutter sounds freakin sick w/ the LED/LDR  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

lincolnic

Thanks, that's what I figured, but I wanted some confirmation from someone who's already built one. I've got to make a Mouser order soon, so I'll try to find an LDR on there.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Here is the thread with all the info.

Midfi Clair(not)
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4000&hilit=clarinot&start=100

This is the suggestion on what to get (LDR) from the designer..
"as long as it gets down under 5k or so, and goes about 200k your good."

lincolnic

Thanks, I read through that yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't find any LDRs on Mouser (really, guys? None?), but I'll find one somewhere. Maybe I'll pick one up from Radio Shack like some other people in the FSB thread.

bigmufffuzzwizz

It could be how your searching for them..I'm not very Mouser savvy but they might not be under LDR (light dependent resistor)..They could be under photo resistor like Tayda has them labeled.
Yea DD said that 5-pack from Rat Shack will have one that works well...The one I have in there is not even the same specs as suggested but still works perfect to me. I think there is a wide range of tolerance in the LDR's you can use and the effect (envelope filter settings) will probably act slightly different depending on which one you use.

Edit: I did a quick mouser search..just typed in photo resistor
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=photo+resistor But boy are they pricey!!!

lincolnic

Damn, I thought I'd searched for everything. Oh well. My order shipped today and I've got some sockets, so it looks like I'll be headed to Radio Shack after all. Thanks for finding those, though!