News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dad conundrum (what do I do)

Started by jjjimi84, February 25, 2020, 03:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

My wife and I have booked a trip to Disney World for the three of us and we have yet to show our six year old any star wars films.

This is the hard question, what do you start with?

She suggested the recent trilogy because it was action packed and he would love the fighting.

I said original trilogy because it is THE trilogy and it Is the basis of everything.

What do any of you think? Has anyone taken there kids to Disney World lately and have any recommendations?

Aentons

Always in order of real world appearance.
IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII, VIII, IV

skyled

I'm currently watching the original 3 (the only good ones) with my 6 year old nephew, but only in spurts. His attention span isn't long enough to watch it for more than 30-40 minutes. It's amazing how they'll watch garbage quality cartoons for hours on end but can't sit still to watch a good movie.

dan.schumaker

Yeah, original trilogy.  My 5 year old got through all of A New Hope no problem, and most of Empire before he lost interest...

thesmokingman

hard to say ... do you include the cartoons? the star wars xmas special? the ewok movies?
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

culturejam

My daughter likes Return of the Jedi. It's got some grit, but it's quite kid friendly with all the tree teddy bears and whatnot.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Betty Wont

matmosphere

I'd say the last couple might be a little much for some six year olds. They are pg13.

If he's not already familiar enough to know the big twist of Darth being Luke's father then do the original trilogy.

If not I don't know. I hate to say it but my kids really like the prequels, they're kid friendly movies and they really aren't bad. Watching my kids as they watch them really gave me a new appreciation for them.

The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons would probably be a good place for someone that age as well. Both are very good, the guy who made them should have been handed the reigns for the last three movies, they would have turned out much better.

matmosphere

You can't go wrong, but I will say my kids got board (a lot) during Last Jedi.

juansolo

The first three (ie the ones that started in 1977). Then carefully tell them that all the other films were just a terrible mistake (Rogue One aside).

Follow those with Raiders and The Last Crusade.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mjg

We went about 6? years ago, and the kid was around 6 or 7 at the time.  Back then, Disney didn't own Star Wars I think, but they still had a few good themed parts - if they still do it, there is a show where the kids get given lightsabers and get to fight Darth Vader.  So if your kid knows at least a little bit (i.e. what the hell is a Jedi and who is the deep breather in the black mask?) that should be enough.

There was also a good ride where you sit in a shuttle as it zooms around Endor I think? 

At that age, we also just spent a lot of time doing things like the generic pirate ship ride, the tamer roller coasters, and we spent most of a day hanging out in the Cars movie section.  Not sure if that is still a thing.  I don't even know if you mean the one in California or the one in Florida. :-)

So anyway, I'd recommend a movie or cartoon that has Darth Vader.  He's a bit scarier in Star Wars Rebels cartoon, in my opinion. 

jjjimi84

I posted this and checked back and took the advice of the first couple responses, we watched a new hope and he loved it.

Surprisingly he sat through the whole thing, had a few questions but ultimately really liked it.

Watching him watch the opening scenes and seeing darth vader was priceless.

Quote from: thesmokingman on February 25, 2020, 05:56:57 PM
hard to say ... do you include the cartoons? the star wars xmas special? the ewok movies?

I was just originally pushing for the movies because I have never seen the cartoons.

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 25, 2020, 11:49:24 PM
I'd say the last couple might be a little much for some six year olds. They are pg13.

If he's not already familiar enough to know the big twist of Darth being Luke's father then do the original trilogy.

If not I don't know. I hate to say it but my kids really like the prequels, they're kid friendly movies and they really aren't bad. Watching my kids as they watch them really gave me a new appreciation for them.

The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons would probably be a good place for someone that age as well. Both are very good, the guy who made them should have been handed the reigns for the last three movies, they would have turned out much better.

Clearly I need to check out the cartoons, as I thought the last three films were okay but could have been better.

Quote from: juansolo on February 26, 2020, 12:42:30 AM
The first three (ie the ones that started in 1977). Then carefully tell them that all the other films were just a terrible mistake (Rogue One aside).

Follow those with Raiders and The Last Crusade.

How great was rogue one?!?!? That and the mandalorian just made love star wars all over again.

I try to view the other trilogies without comparing them to the originals because I think any movie would fail. I will say the last jedi was just not for me.

Also whats Trek? Is that the movie with all of the lense flares?

https://youtu.be/OTfBH-XFdSc

I actually enjoyed these movies but my wife did not, so......you know.

alanp

Think I agree with Juan, somewhat -- Indiana Jones (Raiders and Last Crusade) might be more approachable for an excitable kid than Star Wars.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website