News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Current True-Bypass options for Boss

Started by well.executed, March 26, 2020, 06:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

well.executed

I've got a Boss OC-2 that I'm going to rehouse and do a few mods to. Why? Because I want to. I'd like to change the aesthetics, have top-jacks, and make circuit improvements to meet my needs. In the past Mammoth offered the Click-less True Bypass board as an easy way to switch from Buffered on a Boss pedal. Since Mammoth is out of business, I'm wondering what options there are for adding soft-touch true-bypass to Boss pedal (guts). Thanks everyone!

PLEASE NOTE: I am a beginner, but I do NOT want 100 replies of "put it in a loop" "why would you do that to a Boss" etc. All threads where I've seen this asked on other forums over the past decade get bombarded with these tone-deaf responses. Yes, I understand boss enclosures are nice and many people like the Boss FET buffer, but I'm merely searching for specific information on how to do something. In the end I may just rehouse with the original buffer, but what's wrong with the community talking about HOW to do it, not WHY NOT to do it :P

garcho

Why wouldn't you ask either this question:

"How is click-less (latch-less? quiet?) true bypass achieved?"

or:

"Does anyone know where i can buy something like the Mammoth Click-less True Bypass board?"

Instead you peppered your convoluted question with whiny demands and a condescending tone, and now it's been a few days and no one has responded.

3 seconds on the internet and i found this: https://moodysounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/clickless-true-bypass-instructions.pdf
also this: http://www.muzique.com/schem/bypass.htm
...and weird on top!

well.executed

Thanks @garcho! I didn't mean to be either convoluted or whiny. Rather wanted to be clear the type of responses that I wasn't interested in.

I've looked across 4 or 5 different forums, going back over the past decade, and any time someone asks "How is True Bypass achieved on a Boss circuit" at least 60% of the replies are comments on why would anyone want to do such a thing.

But you are right, the post hasn't garnered any responses till now.

The first link is referencing the CLTB circuit from Mammoth I wish I could get my hands on, and the second is out of production, though it looks like they have an alternate circuit DPDT design that MIGHT work for this. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and links!

garcho

Is it important that it's "click-less"? Or is a standard 3PDT stomp switch ok? If "true bypass" is the main concern, I can definitely show you and it is indeed easy.
If it has to be click-less, then you'll need either some logic ICs, PICs, transistors, and/or relays. Maybe part of the reason why responses aren't so helpful is because there are a few different ways to do true bypass without the standard latching stomp switch, but none of them are as simple as just wiring up a 3PDT. You have to be the one to pick a direction and go that route.

Sorry for the dead link to the AMZ page, here's the right page. This is the DPDT you mentioned. Not sure why you think it might not work. Using a microprocessor is the proper way for 2020, might as well go that route unless you want to learn how to use logic ICs and timing circuits like it's 1990. 1980? 1970? You will get no "vintage tone" from past technology in switching. Well, except for the vintage tone you get from Boss switching (basically, it can shave a little high end off the top).

Have you seen this?:

http://tech.thetonegod.com/switches/switches.html

Sorry if I sounded like a grumpy prick.
...and weird on top!

well.executed

QuoteSorry for the dead link to the AMZ page, here's the right page. This is the DPDT you mentioned. Not sure why you think it might not work. Using a microprocessor is the proper way for 2020, might as well go that route unless you want to learn how to use logic ICs and timing circuits like it's 1990. 1980? 1970? You will get no "vintage tone" from past technology in switching. Well, except for the vintage tone you get from Boss switching (basically, it can shave a little high end off the top).

Thanks for pointing these out. Choosing a direction: I want true bypass and would prefer not to use a switch that sounds like a big hole-punch actuating. I like those soft-touch switches and have some in mind for my Line 6 DL4.

I'm glad you pointed out the "no value or magic tone from analog switching". I'm good to go with modern chip-based stuff. #1 priority is that it is a package I can successfully implement. #2 would be that it doesn't have an amplified pop in the signal chain, and #3 would be that I can use some sort of soft-touch momentary switch.

It has been a crazy (3rd) week of quarantine work life, so I skimmed that great switching article, but still need to go back in-depth.

The only reason I said I didn't know if that one circuit would work was because I'm too green to know if there actually IS any reason it wouldn't work with Boss.

Again, thanks!