News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Somnif, nitpick -- exacerbate, not exasperate.

Quote from: jimilee on February 28, 2020, 04:16:43 AM
I bought corona virus stocks companies developing and "cure" but more importantly the testing kits. CODX so far is skyrocketing. If you want in, now is the time. Just saying, I've doubled my money and then some.

The trick is when to sell. Once the panic settles down, those stocks are going to drop, hard, I suspect.

The knock-on effects are honestly being more of a pain to me, personally -- the place I work at sells a lot of meat to China, and the company has had to resort to packing boxes into refrigerated shipping containers, and hiring industrial scale generators to power them. (These suckers come in their own shipping container, to give you an idea of size.) We also sell to other countries (Jordan, the US, the UK, Germany, I think Peru...) so we've been able to shift SOME product. A different company in the same industry has had to shut down because they only sell to China.

I've said in the past to several people at work that I wasn't happy with how the meat industry was trying to sell everything to China, and not also trying to develop other markets (like India, maybe.)

Coronavirus has been an interesting lesson in how everything is interconnected in this global economy.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

Quote from: alanp on February 28, 2020, 11:16:45 AM
Coronavirus has been an interesting lesson in how everything is interconnected in this global economy.

So true, so true.

somnif

Quote from: alanp on February 28, 2020, 11:16:45 AM
Somnif, nitpick -- exacerbate, not exasperate.

I blame lack of sleep and autocorrect!

somnif

Bit of news, the WHO has given this bug an official name, it is now....

Drum roll please....

"SARS-CoV-2" and the disease it causes is COVID-19. As you might guess, they have determined that this is in fact better categorized as a new strain of the SARS virus, rather than an entirely new species.

EBK

I'm going to start calling it Pangolin Flu.  It's more media friendly and marketable.  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

I feel horrible for asking this, but are you guys still ordering (or going to order) PCBs from Chinese fab houses, in light of all this?

OSHPark are still too expensive for me.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Not PCB, but I did try to order a new pair of glasses last night, and learned the place I buy from fabs in China.

Shipping estimate was 2-3 months, normally ~2 weeks.

juansolo

Quote from: somnif on February 29, 2020, 01:30:10 PM
Bit of news, the WHO has given this bug an official name

Wow, Roger Daltrey is really branching out...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

matmosphere

Quote from: juansolo on March 02, 2020, 02:40:26 AM
Quote from: somnif on February 29, 2020, 01:30:10 PM
Bit of news, the WHO has given this bug an official name

Wow, Roger Daltrey is really branching out...

Nah, Pete is way to much of a control freak to let Daltrey name it. I'm sure he did it himself.

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: EBK on February 29, 2020, 01:36:11 PM
I'm going to start calling it Pangolin Flu.  It's more media friendly and marketable.  ;D

Probably not politically correct but, we've been calling it the "Kung-Flu" at my place.  ::)
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Muadzin

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on March 02, 2020, 08:48:39 AM
Quote from: EBK on February 29, 2020, 01:36:11 PM

Probably not politically correct but, we've been calling it the "Kung-Flu" at my place.  ::)

F*** politically correctness and f*** it hard in all its orifices! We NEED to laugh, especially in times like this.

somnif

I'll admit, since I saw the news about it's taxonomy, every time I think of it, my brain spits out the virus as "SARS 2: Electric Boogaflu" (hands up if you get the ridiculous reference)

And I hate calling random diseases "flu", its taxonomically and epidemiologically wrong! Curse my stupid brain!

EBK

Quote from: somnif on March 03, 2020, 04:42:31 AM
And I hate calling random diseases "flu", its taxonomically and epidemiologically wrong! Curse my stupid brain!
Can I call it Pangolin Pestilence then? 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aentons

Quote from: somnif on March 03, 2020, 04:42:31 AM
"SARS 2: Electric Boogaflu" (hands up if you get the ridiculous reference)
...and I thought I was the only one who still tacks that on after every 2 that comes out of my mouth.

G.G.

"For example, it's unlikely any coronavirus would survive as a stowaway on or inside packages mailed from China to the United States. "In general, because of the poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, that's in the range of hours, there's likely a very, very, very low if any risk of spread from products or packaging that is shipped over a period of days or weeks in ambient temperatures," Messonnier (of the CDC) says."
https://elemental.medium.com/your-most-pressing-questions-about-the-coronavirus-answered-c99bff5f02e9
edit: quoted the wrong reply :-\
QuoteI feel horrible for asking this, but are you guys still ordering (or going to order) PCBs from Chinese fab houses, in light of all this?