News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Official Coronavirus Discussion

Started by peAk, February 27, 2020, 07:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

And as far as the focus on the markets, anytime the market drops that much that fast its going to be a big story. The media is going to focus on it regardless of the cause.

jimilee

The kits are in short supply and high demand thank to the FDAs latency on finally releasing big Pharma to distribute tests so we could get this under control or at least get out in front of it. I've been buying Pharma stocks and the research alone is just astounding.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DLW

Quote from: jimilee on March 06, 2020, 11:18:29 AM
The kits are in short supply and high demand thank to the FDAs latency on finally releasing big Pharma to distribute tests so we could get this under control or at least get out in front of it. I've been buying Pharma stocks and the research alone is just astounding.

I respectfully disagree that the FDA is entirely to blame for the test kit shortage. I would rather have Pharma sell reliable test kits than sell kits as quickly as possible. The FDA serves an incredibly important regulatory role in separating private Pharma from its conflict of interest- profit. This extends beyond the current CovID-19. The FDA takes a lot of unnecessary heat. When the FDA is successful, nobody notices (by design). When the FDA is needed, it's never fast enough. When they fail, Pharma gets a pass and the FDA takes the blame.

mozz

1 case so far in the county i live in in Pennsylvania. It's spreading no doubt here. This updates a few times a day, Russia, 4 cases, don't think so. China numbers are not going up so that means they stopped reporting.
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

alanp

There's a case here in NZ, that came from someone who went for holiday. In IRAN, of all places.

"Honey, where do you want to go for a holiday overseas? Romantic Venice, historical London, maybe exciting New York, the city that never sleeps?"

"No way, I want to go to a country that got into a giant nuclear dick-waving contest with another country that has the biggest military in the world!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

peAk

5 cases now here in Houston.

Most from people who traveled to Egypt

culturejam

I don't care what anybody says about the N65 masks, I panic-bought about 20.  ;D 
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jimilee

Quote from: culturejam on March 06, 2020, 05:43:13 PM
I don't care what anybody says about the N65 masks, I panic-bought about 20.  ;D
It will stop you from touching for face if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

And today when I wanted to buy a mask so I could do some sanding work, no place had any in stock.  :-\

culturejam

Quote from: somnif on March 06, 2020, 07:29:59 PM

And today when I wanted to buy a mask so I could do some sanding work, no place had any in stock.  :-\

Early bird gets the worm.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

mjg

I already had boxes of face masks due to bushfire smoke.  Success!

lars

I wonder if anybody has died texting/talking on their phone about the Corona virus while driving.
Irony.
Driving is still way more dangerous than any virus. Funny that people don't put as much effort into it as preparing for things that never happen. "My car has bad brakes and bald tires and I go down the road with my phone glued to my ear with a vape cloud obstructing my vision...but hey, I've got dust masks!"
Priorities.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

EBK

I'm waiting for the first death from people fighting over supplies they don't really need.  This will happen in the US at some point.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

There are 5 cases in Chicago.  All have been released to my knowledge.  The latest being a 20-something and has been quarantined to home.  My wife was involved in screening the hospital staff that was involved in the first cases and the CDC was very involved locally.

I was in Home Depot getting a new doorknob last weekend and there was a line of people waiting for the store clerk to unload 8 cases of hand sanitizer from the top shelf.

I felt a bit guilty being in the same aisle to buy stupid stuff like floor cleaner :-)
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

I'm about to head to Walmart to buy a bunch of stuff entirely unrelated to disaster prep (barbecue sauce, t-shirts, etc.). 

Will report back if I see anything amusing or scary.  ;)
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber