alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on April 02, 2020, 05:13:43 PM
Quote from: jkokura on April 02, 2020, 02:48:58 PM

Need someone to talk to? I am up for an online conversation. Send me an email. jmkpcbs@gmail.com

acob

I'll echo "acob's" comment. If anyone feels themselves in the trough of depression or despair we are here. Don't wanna talk in public? Lotsa ways to communicate in private. You just have to reach out.

I had a bit of a downturn a few days ago myself but came out of it pretty quick, thankfully. Actually, I had two or three days where I just was tired all the time. Could not keep my eyes open, I was taking daytime naps, had no motivation, etc. I thought, "welp, I'm either getting depressed or sick and neither is a good thing right now".

Turns out I accidentally bought decaf at the previous store run. True story. I switched back to regular and felt fine the next day, haha. Point is, sometimes it takes very little to put the rail car back on the tracks.
That's tragically hilarious man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Hang in there, EBK.  Things are going to be bad for a few more months but it's going to get better.  My wife and I have both commented on how working from home is about twice as hard and stressful then going to the office.  At the office, if I'm there, the boss feels satisfied that things are getting done, even if I spent most of the morning posting a build report on the forum  ::).   At home if I don't produce, there's no covering that up.   Add to that the distractions of kids and less than ideal work space....it's rough.
I use to-do lists to keep me focused.  It's silly, but it works for me.  I usually make a fresh list on Friday and I break bigger jobs into smaller steps. Crossing out things on the list is my own OCD reward and it helps motivate me. 

matmosphere

Quote from: Bio77 on April 03, 2020, 10:07:43 AM
Hang in there, EBK.  Things are going to be bad for a few more months but it's going to get better.  My wife and I have both commented on how working from home is about twice as hard and stressful then going to the office.  At the office, if I'm there, the boss feels satisfied that things are getting done, even if I spent most of the morning posting a build report on the forum  ::).   At home if I don't produce, there's no covering that up.   Add to that the distractions of kids and less than ideal work space....it's rough.
I use to-do lists to keep me focused.  It's silly, but it works for me.  I usually make a fresh list on Friday and I break bigger jobs into smaller steps. Crossing out things on the list is my own OCD reward and it helps motivate me.

I second to do list. I've spent many a year stay at home parent. I get everything I need to done but if there's a lot to do I start making list and it helps me knock out stuff way faster.

alanp

I feel sorry for the cutting room, at work. They'd only just gotten to the point where they could keep up with the slaughterboard, meaning they might possibly  come off constant overtime... and then chinavirus hit, most of their manning got shot to hell, and they're back to working six days a week to keep up with us working five.

It's actually worse for them now... while they're working eight hour saturdays, all their mates are watching netflix and playing xbox all week, during lockdown.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

harryklippton

I haven't left my house in 22 days. Now they're saying the peak in the county where I work is expected to be at the end of the month. Although I'm glad that my household was pretty well-prepared, this situation grates on me some days more than others.

alanp

Cheer up, Harry, I'm hearing that one lab at least has a very promising lead on a vaccine -- successful tests on lab rats, and they are moving into human trials now. Plus, of course, there are the trials on drugs to ameliorate existing cases.

That's a big part of the lockdown -- buying time for the scientists and doctors to find these things.

And, I think, if the anti-vaxxer crowd comes out in future, they're likely to get a punch in the nose. My granny had TB as a child, and had reduced lung capacity for the rest of her life as a result. I have no time for idiots like that.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

LaceSensor

Quote from: alanp on April 03, 2020, 10:39:05 PM
the anti-vaxxer crowd

Live demo going on worldwide for them right now....

davent

Here, Ontario, their talking perhaps  three waves altogether and another 18 -24 months.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on April 04, 2020, 04:27:08 PM
Here, Ontario, their talking perhaps  three waves altogether and another 18 -24 months.
dave

Unless a lot of people really mess some stuff up, there should be a vaccine by then. Though I'm not holding my breath for a reliable vaccine being ready in less than a year or a year and a half. I don't think you want to rush it and get it wrong.

EBK

My daughter (8 y.o.) was in tears this afternoon after we had a discussion about facemasks.  It finally clicked in her head that we weren't being overly paranoid and making arbitrary rules when I read the guidance from the CDC out loud (we have been cautious about how much she should know, but needed her to not turn her frustration into defiance of safety rules).  She wished the world "could go back to being happy when we didn't have to worry about the virus."  Me too, kiddo.  Me too. Heart breaking.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

A certain measure of Stoicism is helpful in these times, although I've found that it chiefly comes with age. Emotional outbursts sometimes might make you feel better (although not always), but it's very rare for them to change anything.

Just remind her of the Serenity prayer -- "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."
- Terry Pratchett
My website

lars

I've noticed people are starting to get lax about COVID-19, mainly because it's kind of "old news" now. But the realities of it's continued impact is very well outlined in this article:
https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon
I know it's taking the sports perspective on all of it, but it brings out some very good points that apply across the board. This thing is not going away any time soon just by staying at home for 14 days.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

alanp

Some employees at work must be getting tired of coming to work, as I'm hearing that some people are sitting in the car with the heater on, and a beanie on their head, so that when the gate guard takes their temperature, it's over 37.5 degrees.

The company, not being entirely stupid, are making anyone who turns up in these circumstances wait five minutes outside the gate (with their hat off), at which point they get re-tested for their temperature.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

jimilee

Wow, just wow. Are these full grown adults?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.