News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first "modular" build- REDRUM reverb/delay (PPCB Arachnid)

Started by dawson, February 28, 2020, 05:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Hello, fellow tone-seekers/makers and noise enthusiasts- I'm very excited to share my latest build, a PPCB Arachnid.

The Arachnid is a (an??) FV-1 based multi-effect that reads 8 pre-programmed effects off of an EEPROM IC, and I've added a simple mod switch (labeled "A-B") to alternatively access the internal programs in the FV-1.  I purchased an EEPROM loaded by PPCB with 8 various delay and reverb effects that all sound top-notch.

I accept no credit for the pattern I've etched here, nor the color scheme, nor the name "REDRUM," for that matter..you know where it's from.

I'm getting more and more comfortable soldering surface-mount stuff.  I'd still like to be a lot better, but I'm glad I've started so that I can improve, so I'd encourage anyone on the fence about surface-mount components to go ahead and give them a try.

Now, "Why?" you might ask, did I build this pedal up-side-down? & what's the deal with the connectors?  Well, inspired by the modular Eurorack format, and a bunch of awesome modular builds around here, I'm planning to construct a rack-style pedal-board with all the patching and power self-contained.  I'm using the bottom-plates for regular aluminum enclosures (instead of cheaper plain sheet-metal alternatives) because I'm able to load the effect into an empty box and use it as a stand-alone pedal as seen here, AND, SmallBear sells bottom-plates for a reasonable price.
Anyhow, more on that when I've built more than one of these and finish my prototype rack.

Oh, and a couple shots of my two-tone LED build, as requested last time I did an equally silly LED set-up:

The Arachnid is a fancy effect, so I figured it should have a fancy indicator light- orange 5mm LED's on the bottom, and a red 8mm LED on top

Thanks for looking!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Caedarn

Really nice work, inside and out. I'm intrigued by your modular pedal concept. 

cooder

Very cool and top notch! Great etch too of course!
Will be interesting to see photos of your modular approach to board when you have a few lined up together!
BigNoise Amplification

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dawson

^^^Thanks for looking!  I'm going to work on the rack today, once I'm finished oogling at what everyone else has been up to on the forum.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.