News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Schu-tone builds

Started by destro, February 29, 2020, 05:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destro

If you clicked here hoping to see some sweet 1590a craziness, you are going to be disappointed. Though I have done a few, notably a squeezer and ringer a la Jon Patton and am finishing up a MB flunkee, these are a few of Dan's normal sized projects for us mere mortals. I must also add that these were graciously PIF'd in last years and this years holiday extravaganza. Yeah, I'm running a bit behind. Without further delay....the Madness, Black Moon and Dragonclaw!

Madness - did a pif of my own and solicited graphic suggestions and this one came through courtest of EBK. Couldn't let any of it go to waste and used clear knobs. Dig it best in the crunch position (sounds more natural.) Went with the mc1458 that I read was used in originals somewhere or another. Overall, a nice OD. Need to spend more time with it to figure out how to best use it.

Black Moon - There was a local band that kind of did a similar thing that the band behind the marketing for this pedal did who used a lot of fog machines and tripped fire alarms at the venue I was at. It was comedy. The graphic is actually the negative image of the album cover and I attempted to pay some homage with a similar logo. Somehow I screwed up the switch positions (and the graphic is a bit skewed) but I don't get a lot of time to build stuff for myself so pressed on. Cut some tracks and whatnot....good to go. Never been a huge rat fan myself, but this is indeed pretty neat with the octave to mix in. Add some verb and delay and some cloaks and who knows what can happen. One weird thing was that at counterclockwise on the octave it wasn't fully at 0. It was like at 8 and then with a little turn went to 0 if that makes sense. Not sure if it was the potentiometer or what, might mess with it down the road, but is totally usable regardless. Fun!

Dragonclaw - This turned out to be my favorite of the three which I didn't expect would happen. From what I have read, both designs aren't too far off from tubescreamers. Regardless, I am able to find great tones with both and they can even stack if you wanted to do that. Dan warned me that the blue collar side might be too dark, but I run a bandmaster reverb in bright setting with a jazzmaster....no complaints here. I  ended up switching a coupe of pot legs around to reverse the controls. Pretty sure it was the blue collar presence control and the red snapper cut control. Anyway, I've had these taiwan jrc4558s forever and dropped them in there for kicks. It works great and sounds great with my setup! Love it!

All of these have cool relay bypass switches. Dan was super kind and linked me to some info on them. I've also messed with them in the VFE designs. Has made me contemplate learning how to program my own controllers, but alas, I'm just a hobbyist and can live with the 3dpdts. Maybe one day.

Super awesome fun times building the three of these. Thanks, Dan!!!

jimilee

Very nicely done man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cooder

Most excellente and lovely graphics! Like the big wave one too, I think that's my favourite!
BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

Looks great, really well done!

MTK

Those look great, man. I dig that Black Moon pedal.

EBK

So happy to see the Reefer Madness come to life!  Nice work!
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber