News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tonepad Ross Compressor

Started by keysandguitars, November 18, 2011, 01:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

Kept this one simple too, Black Cherry Pearl powder from Columbia Coatings. I've never owned or used a compressor. It sounds good...afaik! If anyone else has built this, how do you like to set the dials?

I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

nzCdog

Cool finish. I've never used a pedal compressor myself either... lol

bigmufffuzzwizz

That is such a great looking powder color! It's almost wine flavored!
I built the Modified version, I'd say there a quite a few settings. It can be very subtle but gets really good cranked up. I think it sounds its best on a tube amp just about to burst :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

I also really like that colour.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madmac

Nice Job.  I have my compressor before my drives and like to have the sustain knob from about 12 to 3 o'clock and I set the volume up to get unity gain.  Sometimes I like to increase the volume a little higher than unity and use it as lead boost.  I find it sounds great pushing a the Arisocrat.  When I built mine I also modded it as close as I could to the keeley one.  Its been on my board for a few years now.

TNblueshawk

Very cool key. I for one can't decide if I like compressors. Monday I do. Tues I don't. Wed I do......... but it sure won't stop me from building more  ;D
John

jkokura

I like compressors. Particularly Ross types.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

keysandguitars

I played it for an hour last night. I set the volume a bit above unity and messed with the sustain finding I liked it around 2:30-3 (thanks madmac). I went Les Paul Studio-Comp-Ego Driver-Allen Encore (6L6 vibrolux-like). I got some very sweet tones and think I'll really like this combo.

How many compressors do you have? Do comps vary enough that it's worth having a couple?
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

madmac

I only have the one compressor.  I think I prefer the ross to the orange squeezer and wouldn't like to give up the board space for another one.  The analogman bicomp has both in a small enclosure.  Apparently Ive heard that the barber tone press is quite good not that Ive used one. :)

jkokura

I have or have had many, many comps. I still like the Ross the best. Different comps can work in different setups, but I find I can almost always find that 'sweet' spot on the Ross.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

chromesphere

Quote from: jkokura on November 18, 2011, 10:50:35 PM
I have or have had many, many comps. I still like the Ross the best. Different comps can work in different setups, but I find I can almost always find that 'sweet' spot on the Ross.

Jacob

Nice build keys.  Finish is fantastic!
Everyone has their preference for which comp they like, i tend to agree with jacob here.  I've built 4 so far and had a couple of manufactured comps, and the Ross is my favourite.  The orange squeezer is an excellent no fuss, easy build compressor as well but it doesnt do anything the Ross doesnt do.  If i knew all this, i would have built the Ross to begin with.
Congrats again.  looks great mate! :)
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube