News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pastyface and Mangler - charge pump questions

Started by dmitrogen47, March 02, 2020, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitrogen47

Hi everyone,

A couple of questions about the voltage inverter on Pastyface and Mangler projects. I never had to work with these chips, so please forgive the possible noob questions :)

I know the reason for the voltage inverter approach - PNP circuits (because PNP Germaniums are more common than NPN) are positive ground and can not be daisy-chain fed like normal negative ground ones.

1. I can get some TC1044SCPA through relatively reasonable means. The build docs also specify ICL7660SCPA as a substitute, but I can only get ICL7660SCPAZ (extra Z at the end). Will the extra Z chip work?
2. Does the voltage inverter chip influence the sound/functionality of these fuzzes? Any frequency/volume alterations, or extra noise/squealing/ticking that they introduce?

Thanks in advance!

madbean

1 - Either one you listed is fine.
2 - No. The charge pump does have an internal frequency but it works well above the audio rage. Of course, nothing beats the simplicity of just going positive ground and using a battery but these projects are designed more for the power supply crew who don't want to deal with batteries in their pedals.

dmitrogen47

Thanks for the quick reply!

Not a fan of batteries myself - extra space, extra weight, extra thing to remember to replace at extra cost.
And low environmental friendliness.

Also, loved the 'well above the audio rage' typo. You made my day sir  :)