News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Hermit

Started by Aleph Null, March 02, 2020, 08:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph Null

This is Mad Bean's Mood Ring with a short Belton Brick.

Old tarot art makes great pedal art. I could see making a whole tarot themed pedal board. I went for purple because I don't have any purple pedals yet.

I found that even the lowest gain settings resulted in runaway feedback with the Dwell control turned up. I jumpered R29 to reduce the gain in the feedback loop. Now I can adjust the gain trimpot so that infinite reverb occurs at around 8 and self oscilation at 9 or 10. Increasing R30 would probably also work, but I had already populated the board and R29 was easier to reach. It may be that the short brick is more prone to feedback than the long brick that this circuit was designed for.

Between the Pre-Delay and the Dwell control there's a wide range of decay time available. The BMP tonestack, with it's scooped midrange makes it easy to dial in lots of reverb without having it overtake the dry signal.

Drew Hallenbeck

I love how this turned out!
I've often considered making a bunch of pedals with Tarot themed artwork.
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Aentons

Totally awesome

Quote from: Aleph Null on March 02, 2020, 08:10:05 AM
Old tarot art makes great pedal art. I could see making a whole tarot themed pedal board. I went for purple because I don't have any purple pedals yet.

Quote from: Drew Hallenbeck on March 02, 2020, 08:44:35 AM
I've often considered making a bunch of pedals with Tarot themed artwork.

I too thought about this and agree... as long as you dont mass produce you'll prob be ok. I think U.S. Games Systems has the rights to the Rider-Waite images but not entirely sure.

Bonus fact, the exact colors of the cards were chosen by the creators and were considered important for the interpretation. The newer card colors tend to be off a bit, so the older decks tend to be more coveted due to the colors being more true to the originals

rockola

Quote from: Aentons on March 02, 2020, 08:49:36 AM
I too thought about this and agree... as long as you dont mass produce you'll prob be ok. I think U.S. Games Systems has the rights to the Rider-Waite images but not entirely sure.
If you're in the US you'll be fine using the original images. In Europe we'll have to procrastinate for almost two years.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider-Waite_tarot_deck :
In the United Kingdom, and by extension the rest of the European Union, copyright in the artwork for the deck will expire 70 years after the end of the year in which Smith died, i.e. on January 1, 2022.[7]

In the United States, the deck fell into the public domain in 1966 (publication + 28 years + renewed 28 years), and thus has been available for use by American artists in numerous different media projects. U.S. Games Systems, Inc. has a copyright claim on their updated version of the deck published in 1971, but this only covers new material added to the pre-existing work (e.g. designs on the card backs and the box).

Thewintersoldier

That is a nice build, love the colors. I love this circuit, I built the pedalpcb ghost echo and it's my go to of all the verbs I've built.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Aleph Null

Quote from: Aentons on March 02, 2020, 08:49:36 AM

I don't have any plans to get into the pedal-building business, but, if I did, I'd commission new artwork. Maybe find someone that does woodcuts. That's an interesting piece of trivia. I'll definitely be digging more into the history of tarot.

Bio77

Awesome build!  The color scheme of the art and the knobs looks killer and the guts are perfect.

TheDude

Awesome man! I agree with Bio here - very aesthetically pleasing and inspiring.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

cooder

Great stuff, perfect looks and all!
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

beautifully done.  I think I would have been tempted to put the LED inside the lantern on the graphic.   ;D

Aleph Null

Quote from: mjg on March 02, 2020, 11:27:10 PM
beautifully done.  I think I would have been tempted to put the LED inside the lantern on the graphic.   ;D

That would be fun! I think that's right under the brick, though, so you'd have to use a tiny LED. I've sort of standardized my LED and jack placement, so I didn't even question where I would put it—just added the knobs to my default template.

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jjjimi84

Very clean and cool build, those knobs are beautiful and complement the artwork perfectly.

Aleph Null

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 03, 2020, 02:07:58 PM
Very clean and cool build, those knobs are beautiful and complement the artwork perfectly.

Thanks! The knobs can be found here in a bunch of different colors.

Scruffie

You've put IX above the image but I'm pretty sure this was on their 4th album.

Turned out great! I never considered tarot artwork specifically but it really works.
Works at Lectric-FX