News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE back in stock plus two new projects

Started by madbean, March 07, 2020, 05:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Two new VFE projects: the Fuzz Duo and IceScream.
The Fuzz Duo has both germanium and silicon fuzz in one package. And, it allows you to select between both types!
The IceScream is very much an updated TS style OD with a mid control. It includes a dual-gang 10kC pot and 1MD pot.
(I ran out of time today to finish the docs but they will be up Monday along with a video demo.)

- Switching Board v3 is now available and comes with every VFE project. I will make v.2 available on OSH Park this coming week if you have specific project you want it for.
- All other VFE back in stock except the White Horse which will be available within two weeks.
- You can now purchase the v3 board, MCU or both together if you need them for a non-mbp project. You can find this under the Bypass category on the Store page.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Awesome! All are very nice additions. I was in particular hoping for the Ice Scream.

I have a chart of frequencies and component values of a few TS variants compared to the VFE flavors that I'll post in the mods section.

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on March 08, 2020, 08:10:29 AM
Awesome! All are very nice additions. I was in particular hoping for the Ice Scream.

I have a chart of frequencies and component values of a few TS variants compared to the VFE flavors that I'll post in the mods section.

That would be super-helpful. Thank you.
So far I have only tried the vanilla version but I have the components socekted and plan to try the rest today. Plus, I think I might suggest a change for the Low Cut knob, too.

Anyway, I expect to have the Fuzz Duo doc up today and IceScream tomorrow.

Aentons

Quote from: madbean on March 08, 2020, 09:00:46 AM

So far I have only tried the vanilla version but I have the components socekted and plan to try the rest today. Plus, I think I might suggest a change for the Low Cut knob, too.

My pleasure. Here is the mod post:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30859.msg297459#msg297459

gordo

Damn, I really don't need any more fuzzes or overdrives but I've built everything offered in this VFE series and I really hate to break up a set :-)

Looking forward to these.  The Dragon has become one of my foundation pedals and I've been leaning into the BumbleBee a lot lately for some ambient stuff.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

madbean

One small update to the SBv3 doc - I forgot to put in a side jack option for the 125B drill diagram and I had the drill size wrong. You only need a 15/32" hole, not a 1/2" hole for the TRS style DC jack.

madbean

Quote from: Aentons on March 08, 2020, 10:37:19 AM
Quote from: madbean on March 08, 2020, 09:00:46 AM

My pleasure. Here is the mod post:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30859.msg297459#msg297459

Yeah that is super helpful and I am going to link to the thread in the doc.

Speaking of, I will actually upload the Ice Scream doc tomorrow. it is 95% finished but I want more time to play with the different versions before I finalize it. I am think I might even suggest a 4th (mbp) version, too.

jalmonsalmon

I never thought the fuzz duo would come out and ordered a custom one from Peter ;p
He said and I quote "While the re-design is not complete on the Fuzz Duo, it will go through that process this spring. The main question is whether or not I will keep the current design or make it only be able to switch out the first transistor from silicon to germanium. The first transistor makes the largest difference in the tone of the circuit, especially when directly connected to passive guitars. This change would also bring down manufacturing costs and allow me to add separate bass/treble controls.
No design goal is final until I've completed the process, but I anticipate that these will be the fundamental changes to the Fuzz Duo."
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

jalmonsalmon

New Fuzz Duo is here!
This one is totally different then the original but it still rocks!
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .