News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Eagle help

Started by Guybrush, March 08, 2020, 09:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Hi all

I've recently decided I'd like to get my head around Eagle. I've drawn a schematic up and have converted it to a board layout but I'm overwhelmed by the options Eagle gives you for things like trace widths, board layers, polygons, etc etc. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good videos or online tutoruals that run through the basics of eagle for pedal makers?

I've had a good Google for help but I'm just getting lost in the sea of info out there.

Thanks as always!

benny_profane

Check out the JMK eagle tutorials from jkokura. Super comprehensive and massively helpful!

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9661.0

Guybrush

Guybrush

Me again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the most up to date MBP Eagle library? The one I have doesn't saeem to have working 9vt ir GND pads.

Also, the gaussmarkov library doesn't seem to be compatible with Eagle 9.5.2 Free (mpost recent version).  >:(

Thanks again

gtr2

If you're just getting started with ECAD I would recommend starting with KiCad and following the Contextual Electronics tutorials.
If you only have access to a newer version of Eagle it could be dead in the future and you will have to migrate to the Fusion360/ECAD mess.  Kicad is also free with no board size, layer, or pin count limitations.  Just my opinion though.
Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Guybrush

Ahh ok, thank you. I wasn't aware there were issues with Eagle. I'll check out Licad for sure. Hopefully I can import the schematic I spent a few hours drawing up in Eagle today  ::)

Thanks again

DLW

Quote from: Guybrush on March 08, 2020, 01:45:17 PM
Me again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the most up to date MBP Eagle library? The one I have doesn't saeem to have working 9vt ir GND pads.

Also, the gaussmarkov library doesn't seem to be compatible with Eagle 9.5.2 Free (mpost recent version).  >:(

Thanks again

You're better off naming the net that a generic pad is connected to. The V+, GND, etc pads from Gaussmarkov have a mind of their own sometimes.

DLW

You can also add a small net to any component and give it a name (e.g. Vb, Vcc, Vr, etc...). It's much easier than using the premade Gaussmarkov connections.

alanp

Don't use Gaussmarkov.

The pads in that library are retardedly small, from memory.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

imjonwain

I use Eagle (and have for years) and am happy to help you but if you're learning from scratch go with Kicad.  I'm trying to switch over at the moment.  The Contextual electronics tutorials are great and the devs have a lot planned for the future of Kicad.   
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

m-Kresol

Guybrush! Haven't seen you in ages, Welcome back!

I use eagle and Fusion 360 at work and I think it's actually a good combination and afaik, free eagle will still be available to hobbyists.

There's a whole sub-forum section dedicated to pcb layouts and Eagle in particular: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0

you can also find the most recent madbean library there. Jacob's tutorials still apply to most parts and were also my starting point. Since then, several features where added and altered, but it stayed true to its roots in most parts. I can also recommend putting in shortcuts for several commands, such as copy, move, route, ripup, adjusting visible layers etc.. This makes stuff much more comfortable and faster
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Guybrush

Hey man. Yeah been away for a while trying to do other things as well as building pedals  ;D

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will have a look at that sub forum now as I have another Eagle question.

I didn't realsie you could make shortcuts. Having to keep clicking copy/paste/delete etc is a real pain! Haha

Thanks everyone for their help. I'll check out Kicad as soon as I get chance.