News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Help understanding a schematic symbol and circut flow.

Started by koolaide, March 08, 2020, 08:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koolaide

Hi all,
First post.
I have built a couple of tube amps, but never a pedal. Haven't worked with IC's or transistors... ect.
I am planning a tagboard build of a Jan Ray clone. I have attached the schematic and planned layout. I am trying to follow the circuit flow, and already need some clarification in the power section : The symbol between c6 and c11. Am I correct in understanding that the symbol is simply indication pinout-4 for ground/Vcc- and 8 for Vcc+?
Thanks

HamSandwich

In Eagle (and maybe other schematic programs), that symbol represents the power rails of the IC, and the numbers are the pin numbers. Notice the IC used has 8 pins, and you can find three on each triangle opamp, and the remaining two on the power symbol.

They are spaced out like two lines because they are 'meant' to be laid over one of the opamp symbols to make it look like they were coming out of the top and bottom of the triangle.

Also, welcome to the forum!

koolaide

jimilee

Quote from: koolaide on March 09, 2020, 05:49:21 AM
thanks for the clarification. and the welcome.
Good luck with your build, Vero can be a real bear sometimes.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

koolaide

While I await new soldering station, I am studying the schematic and vero layout. (diagrams attached to first post)
Am I missing something? It looks like a 100n cap is missing from layout. It looks to be c6 to me could be  c10. Can someone help me understand this?

I'm kina anal ;D and need to understand what is happening and why.

All help appreciated.

Thanks for all responses past and future.
Cheers,
Jim

mjg

C6, c10 and c11 are all there for filtering the power supply, so they will be doing a similar job, just at different frequencies.  It looks like whoever did the layout decided to not bother with the 100n caps.  Everything will most likely work fine without them, unless your power supply is really crap. 

The schematic seems to be missing a 'VR' on the bottom right as well, otherwise what's the point of those resistors (R9 and 10) in the bottom right corner?  The layout seems to have that fixed. 

koolaide

Matt,
Thanks so much for the reply. That was my guess, but it was only a guess. At least I'm learning.

Jim