News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finally, a new soldering iron

Started by jimilee, March 11, 2020, 05:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I figured it was time to get a new soldering station. The current one was just until I decided if I wanted to keep building....that was like 6 or 8 years ago. Picked up a Hakko fx888D; wow, what a difference. I'm digging it so far, soldering is a lot quicker and smoother; I gotta get a smaller chisel tip for it, the one that came with it is too fat for my liking. So that happened.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dan.schumaker

Congrats!  I've been running mine about 5 years now and I love it!

gordo

+1.  I really like mine.  It's been a real trooper for years now.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

EBK

I just accidentally knocked the control box of my Hakko (same model) off of my work table onto a tile floor this evening.  Cracked the case quite a bit, and the switch popped out.  Pushed the switch back in and tested it out.  Still works flawlessly.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

alanp

Congrats. If my 40W pencil (and my backup 40W pencil, still in the packaging, they're cheap enough to buy a spare just "because") ever die, I'm going to get a nice station.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

CodeMonk

I got one of those a few weeks ago.
Keep hearing good things about it.
I got a Weller (just the iron, no station) somewhere here in a box (moved a few months ago and lots of things are still in a box :)  ).
Now I just to need setup a work area.

My previous Weller lasted over 30 years before the transformer died on me a few years back.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

somnif

I love my Hakko. It's so easy to change the temperature! (I've literally not touched any controlls other than on/off switch in the 5 years I've owned it)

But jokes aside, it heats up in a hurry, holds that heat like a champ, nice light weight easily controllable iron, and tons of tips to choose from. Plus I got mine on sale, which was just great.

I do kinda need to replace the brass sponge mine came with though, it's getting a wee bit.... chunky.

selfdestroyer

Timko

I bought one of these last January and agree that it makes a world of difference. I find that it does amazing at helping desolder as well.

Enjoy; it's a good purchase for someone that realizes pedal building is a hobby they'll be doing for the foreseeable future.

jimilee

Quote from: Timko on March 21, 2020, 08:05:50 PM
I bought one of these last January and agree that it makes a world of difference. I find that it does amazing at helping desolder as well.

Enjoy; it's a good purchase for someone that realizes pedal building is a hobby they'll be doing for the foreseeable future.
Started about 6 years ago, I only needed a good compressor....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Now you're speaking my language.  Compressor for guitar or bass?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on March 22, 2020, 01:24:54 PM
Now you're speaking my language.  Compressor for guitar or bass?
Bass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk