News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

But why toilet paper and not food?

Started by jimilee, March 14, 2020, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Does anyone have a real explanation why toilet paper is being stock piled but there is still plenty of food to be had? I just don't understand the phenomenon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

somnif

Locally the food is starting to go too. My grocery store was out of ramen, beans, rice, and getting low on canned soup.

I just wanted to do my weekly grocery shopping darn it.

EBK

Toilet paper is high in fiber and goes well with most sauces and seasonings due to its neutral flavor profile.

I've also summed it up this way:

"Honey, why are those people loading up their carts with so much toilet paper?"

"I don't know, but they must know something we don't, and we'd better do the same thing until we figure out why."
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

MTK

Quote from: somnif on March 14, 2020, 07:04:00 AM
I just wanted to do my weekly grocery shopping darn it.

Same. Not a can of green beans to be found.  :'(

BrianS

It's crazy.  My wife went to the grocery store yesterday and said it was nuts.  Practically all the meat was gone and of course the toilet paper.  Perhaps you'll start seeing people profiting by selling it by the row at intersections. 

EBK

Quote from: BrianS on March 14, 2020, 07:24:46 AM
Perhaps you'll start seeing people profiting by selling it by the row at intersections.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

dan.schumaker

TP is the new currency in this new Mad Max world we live in.  Those with the most will have all the power!

BuGG

I suspect the trend was spread by the internet....

It was a little different here though, no one seemed to be hoarding anything except hand sanitizer and clorox wipes.   Ironically there was plenty of hand soap available everywhere.    ::)

Yesterday the food and toilet paper disappeared all at once.   I don't think anywhere here took it serious until it affected the sporting events.

matmosphere

Yes because toilet paper is very bulky and it takes up a lot of floor space for stores, and is generally limited to a single aisle or part of an aisle.

Food is relatively small and much much more of the store is dedicated to it.

If all of the people that bought up all that TP bought a reasonable amount of food as well I suspect that the food aisle would still look decently stocked.

matmosphere

Ack sorry if that sounded combative or rude. I'm a little irritated by some stuff that went down on a different, far less decent forum earlier today. 

Again Brian, thank you for hosting the best little spot on the net.

BrianS

TheDude

Anyone freaking out about TP is not thinking long term. If I need to worry about never getting TP again I'm going straight to every Home Depot and Lowes in a 50 mi radius and buying them out of their ferns. Softer than the cheapest TP and it will regrow, what more could you ask for?

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The dude abides

harryklippton

Spring is coming early here in southern new england and the mullein is already starting to grow.

Yahoo67

Holy moly I thought that it was just in Montreal the toilet paper hysteria xD I am on paternity leave so I have been so much disconnected from the current events xD