News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

But why toilet paper and not food?

Started by jimilee, March 14, 2020, 06:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

There has to be someone somewhere pushing the buttons, I'd like to know who, and his reasoning or is it random. If it were me, I'd be totally random, like Brussels sprouts and cream cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dont-tase-me-bro

I was just at Costco - there were two cops guarding the paper towel / toilet paper area. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there's been brawls there, which led to that.  I have never seen a Costco with so little stuff in it.  But guys with guns guarding toilet paper is a new one for me.
I thought this would save me money.

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

somnif

Quote from: Scruffie on March 15, 2020, 07:16:55 AM
Cider vinegar is another to add to the obscure list of panic purchases due to its supposed health benefits.

I'm assuming it's because white vinegar was already sold out? It has been at my stores.

I'm guessing it is because vinegar is a cleaning supply... for some applications. Won't really help at all in this situation, but logic isn't really in play right now.

Scruffie

Quote from: somnif on March 15, 2020, 03:45:47 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on March 15, 2020, 07:16:55 AM
Cider vinegar is another to add to the obscure list of panic purchases due to its supposed health benefits.

I'm assuming it's because white vinegar was already sold out? It has been at my stores.

I'm guessing it is because vinegar is a cleaning supply... for some applications. Won't really help at all in this situation, but logic isn't really in play right now.
Nope, just the cider, I'm guessing because yes as you say, vinegar = clean and if people think cider vinegar specifically has health benefits (some people take it as a 'supplement') it's clean AND healthy. I bet a lot of people now have it in a cupboard with no idea why they bought it... I imagine it would make surfaces sticky if you cleaned with it.

I'd have just bought actual cider (which is alcoholic here, I think it's the same as what you US guys call hard cider?) that seems far more sensible.

Quote from: jimilee on March 15, 2020, 07:19:50 AM
If it were me, I'd be totally random, like Brussels sprouts and cream cheese.
Cook this up with mushrooms, mustard, garlic, shallots & bacon, makes a terrific pasta... oh, never mind.
Works at Lectric-FX

alanp

Cider vinegar is used in some sauces, and that's about all the use I know of for it, other than for health reasons.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

CodeMonk

Hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol is out everywhere, and washing with soap and water may not be convenient (out and about, in your car, etc.), but while looking, I think I have found an as yet, untapped resource...
Mouthwash
Most of it has alcohol in it.
Might make your hands sticky, but its an option.

As for toilet paper, bathroom sink and a washrag.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

somnif

Quote from: CodeMonk on March 16, 2020, 01:14:20 PM
Hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol is out everywhere, and washing with soap and water may not be convenient (out and about, in your car, etc.), but while looking, I think I have found an as yet, untapped resource...
Mouthwash

No no no, don't do that. You need 60%+ alcohol to have any real effectiveness, and even the booziest of mouthwashes tops out around 30%. Plus, that stickyness could make you more likely to actually pick stuff up.

Scruffie

Quote from: alanp on March 15, 2020, 09:16:25 PM
Cider vinegar is used in some sauces, and that's about all the use I know of for it, other than for health reasons.
Pickles, chutneys, stews, salads, vinaigrettes... but not something I'd consider panic buying worthy, the supposed health benefits don't even seem related to this.

I had to make a sherry vinegar dressing for my salad instead, like an animal.
Works at Lectric-FX

davent

Quote from: somnif on March 16, 2020, 04:16:02 PM
Mouthwash

No no no, don't do that. You need 60%+ alcohol to have any real effectiveness, and even the booziest of mouthwashes tops out around 30%. Plus, that stickyness could make you more likely to actually pick stuff up.

Saw a formula for diy hand  cleaner and it called for 2/3's, 99% or better, isopropyl alcohol to 1/3 aloe vera gel with a couple drops of essential if you need a scent - legit? It was also mentioned soap and water with proper washing technique is still best if available.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

somnif

Quote from: davent on March 16, 2020, 05:33:43 PM
Saw a formula for diy hand  cleaner and it called for 2/3's, 99% or better, isopropyl alcohol to 1/3 aloe vera gel with a couple drops of essential if you need a scent - legit? It was also mentioned soap and water with proper washing technique is still best if available.
dave

The WHO's recommended formula is 80% ethanol or 75% isopropanol as a final concentration. Your ratios would end up somewhere closer to 66% alcohol, which is still over the 60% minimum, so acceptable if you wish. The essential oils won't hurt anything, so long as you're careful about skin sensitivities you may have.  (The WHO formula is the alcohol, 1.45% glycerol to avoid skin drying, and 0.125% hydrogen peroxide as a preservative, with distilled water used to dilute things to final concentration)

The math is C1V1=C2V2.  (The concentration of your starting alcohol) times (how much of it to use) equals (the concentration of the final mix) times (the volume of the final mix).

So for your mix, (.99)*(667mL) = (X)*(1000mL), X = .6603 or 66.03%, using a 1L batch as an example.

And, in either case, you should follow their useage instructions, which calls for 3mL of hand rub (about half a teaspoon) rubbed on all hand surfaces for about 20 seconds. This includes the fingertips, thumbs, and under the nails, so be aware of how you're rubbing. This would result in about a ~3Log reduction of enveloped virus load on the hand surfaces (~99.90% gone), which is about the same effectiveness as handwashing, surprisingly, at least when dealing with fairly clean hands to start with. If you've got crud on your hands ("visibly dirty") then soap and water takes a clear lead.

(Also I have no idea how all hand gels react to alcohol, so things may get weird in your mix)

davent

Thank you for the feedback!

They called for pure aloe vera gel so whether or not there has been anything added to that could cause issues, no idea.

Happen to have all the WHO formula ingredients on hand, tomorrow i'll make mix.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

CodeMonk

Quote from: somnif on March 16, 2020, 04:16:02 PM
Mouthwash

ok then.
I didn't buy any.
I did find a small hotel room sized bottle of hand sanitizer amongst the rest of my stuff that is still boxed up from when I moved.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

snz728

My daughter just got a job as a cashier at a supermarket and she was cashing people out when they announced that the TP was out again and she asked "why do people need TP I thought corona virus gives you a fever and cough?" and  a customer in line said " they all found out we have 7 cases of the virus and everybody's sh***ing themselves" lol

jimilee

Quote from: snz728 on March 16, 2020, 07:08:25 PM
My daughter just got a job as a cashier at a supermarket and she was cashing people out when they announced that the TP was out again and she asked "why do people need TP I thought corona virus gives you a fever and cough?" and  a customer in line said " they all found out we have 7 cases of the virus and everybody's sh***ing themselves" lol
Bwahahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.