News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Stargate Fuzz (BAT Pharaoh)

Started by harryklippton, January 25, 2021, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

BAT Pharaoh clone on a rullywow board that I finished last week. I decided to use a bunch of Stargate fonts and wanted to create a gold lettering effect but my implementation fell a little short of my vision on this one. The toner on the black mask wasn't dark enough to cover the gold leaf I used as an underlay. In low light (first pic), I think it looks cool. I also went a little off the map with the control layout and had some clearance issues in the end, but everything works.

jjjimi84

Very cool, I remember owning one of the originals so long ago, weren't they built on byoc boards to start?

matmosphere

That's really cool looking. I dig the layout and the artwork a lot, though I remember almost nothing about that movie other than it revolving around Egyptian mythology.

Outskirts Pedals is a cool name too.

jimilee

Ooh very nice. Elegant looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Regardless of your expectations I think it looks VERY classy..  I mean gold leaf?  Hell yeah- fit for a Goa'uld of the highest status.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Bio77

I think it looks cool!  I'd like to hear more about the process.

alanp

Oh wow. That first photo looks super, super tasty.

Another way of doing it might be to get some kind of stencil cut with thin material, and rub the gold foil on through that, to avoid using toner altogether. (With some kind of clearcoat to protect the foil!) It's about the best way I can think of doing it, if you use low-tack painter's tape to anchor the stencil.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

harryklippton

Thanks for the kind words everybody. While working on this, I was also looking at how people make headstock decals for strat and tele copies with basically a waterslide and using something like Testors gold enamel to paint in the logo. I might try that. I also found that Sunnyscopa makes a gold metallic transfer stock but I could only find the 50-sheet pack that was like $75.

Quote from: Bio77 on January 25, 2021, 03:46:44 PM
I think it looks cool!  I'd like to hear more about the process.

I printed my decal as normal using clear printable adhesive vinyl but I reversed the image so the background was black and the text areas would be clear. After cleaning the enclosure with isopropyl alcohol, I put down the gold leaf. I had forgotten to buy gold leaf size, so I mixed some school glue with water to make it a lighter consistency, brushed it on, and stuck the gold foil in place. I think i waited a day or so to let the glue fully dry, and then stuck my decal down. I clear-coated with that pledge floor gloss that someone mentioned here.

Here's my decal:

and here's the enclosure with gold leaf applied, pre-decal: