News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Upsidedown Reverb (Tesseract)

Started by Timko, March 21, 2020, 06:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

The middle of March is when I began preparing for the disc golf season in Kansas City.  My guitar playing (and pedal building) normally take a back seat to the social aspect of disc golf through leagues and tournaments.  However, it's pretty obvious that 2020 is not going to be a normal year.  As an extrovert that lives alone, I've decided to finish up some half finished builds from the winter that I was going to slowly tackle over the summer because I'm going to need something to keep my hands and my mind busy.  First up is Diablochris's Tesseract Reverb.  If you're familiar with this build, you'll notice that I used a 3PDT switch and have an extra pair of wires connecting to the third lug.  There's a design quirk on this build that never lets the dry signal get totally dry when the effect is bypassed.  Chris worked with me to understand it and offered a suggestion on how to still allow the tails functionality while letting it eventually fade into a dry signal once the effect is disengaged.  The effect itself is pretty cool.  While it never gets totally wild, I do like how I can use it for shoegaze style sounds when you turn things up a bit.   I've normally used delays instead of reverbs but can see this being something that gets some serious time on my board.

Artwork was inspired when Stranger Things announced season 4.  Some of the etch didn't transfer completely (The B in Reverb) and I may try my hand at trying to hand cut that out with an X-Acto blade sometime soon.  I'll definitely have the time to mess around with it ;)

Up next is Madbean's Rustbucket.  I'm working on artwork now.

Drew Hallenbeck

I like what you did with marking the inside of the cover: "Corona #4"  I'm guessing that means it's the fourth completed project during this period of down time....?
I think I might "borrow" that idea!
Can you tell us more about the mod to get the dry signal cleaned up once the tails fade away?
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Timko

I'm a lefty so my handwriting is a disaster. It's Corona #1.

As far as the mod, you need to break the trace between C23 and C25, then reconnect it via the foot switch.

Bio77

Beautiful build!  I am also stealing your Corona idea  ;D

dawson

Nice build- looks like a neat reverb and I dig the graphic, it's super cool looking with/without the super cool show (this is the first I've heard of Season 4!)

P.S. Great use for an ash tray! I've got some fancy ones that I haven't been able to get rid of even though I quit the smokes, maybe I'll dig them out of their boxes to class-up my various component trimmings and assorted lengths of wire as you've done here.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

cooder

Excellent! All great and the addition of second footswitch is a cool idea.

Talking about disc golf... my son lives in Columbia / Missouri (born in Germany, grew up in New Zealand) and is a disc golf fanatic playing in pro league. Maybe you know each other, wouldn't that be funny... he's quite miffed that the disc golf season will be a fizzer this year...
BigNoise Amplification

Timko

Quote from: cooder on March 21, 2020, 10:49:44 PM
Excellent! All great and the addition of second footswitch is a cool idea.

Talking about disc golf... my son lives in Columbia / Missouri (born in Germany, grew up in New Zealand) and is a disc golf fanatic playing in pro league. Maybe you know each other, wouldn't that be funny... he's quite miffed that the disc golf season will be a fizzer this year...

Columbia is home to Harmony Bends, one of the top rated courses in the world!

Timko

Quote from: dawson on March 21, 2020, 10:35:07 PM
Nice build- looks like a neat reverb and I dig the graphic, it's super cool looking with/without the super cool show (this is the first I've heard of Season 4!)

P.S. Great use for an ash tray! I've got some fancy ones that I haven't been able to get rid of even though I quit the smokes, maybe I'll dig them out of their boxes to class-up my various component trimmings and assorted lengths of wire as you've done here.

I've had that since I was like 11. When I bought it I didn't even know it was an ash tray, but it makes a fantastic  storage area for trimmed leads and wires.

diablochris6

Looks great! I'm glad I could help you out with the switching! It's funny how I never think of things as problems until others mention it to me; guess I get too excited about my designs and overlook the simple stuff.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here