News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Keeley Fuzz Bender

Started by MTK, March 22, 2020, 08:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTK

This pedal is insane. The most low end on any pedal I've built yet. It's a speaker checker. Get some good headphones or use speakers with a sub to really get a feel for it. Laptop/phones speakers won't do it justice. I'm love. Thick fuzz all the way to velcro city. I don't have a dualgang A250K so I used two singles for the time being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXPY3ZGFJwU

https://imgur.com/a/MdtrYOa

storyboardist

If you have a 100k dual gang it will work just fine. You just need to remove the 2, 180k resistors that are in parallel with them (going from the FSB trace schem). I suspect Keeley had a hard time sourcing 100k dual gangs in long leg form and just used some parallel resistance. Removed those two resistors in my build and it works just fine. You're right tho, it's a crazy fuzz box.

Guy behind Effects Layouts

diablochris6

That's brutal! You always bring the sludge, MTK!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

MTK

Quote from: storyboardist on March 23, 2020, 03:07:05 PM
If you have a 100k dual gang it will work just fine. You just need to remove the 2, 180k resistors that are in parallel with them (going from the FSB trace schem). I suspect Keeley had a hard time sourcing 100k dual gangs in long leg form and just used some parallel resistance. Removed those two resistors in my build and it works just fine. You're right tho, it's a crazy fuzz box.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I only have a dual gang 10k right now. But I don't really think I'm going to mess with bias all that much. Gonna take your resistor removal and do this and see how I like it.

Quote from: diablochris6 on March 23, 2020, 04:01:19 PM
That's brutal! You always bring the sludge, MTK!

Always looking for something sludgey. You showed me the Ultra Stoner and I love it. The Ultra Stoner/Rat pedal and the Hoof Reaper are my favorites. This Fuzz Bender looks like it's gonna join them. I want to add the EQ from it to the others and see what that's about.

MTK

I connected the trimmers but before taking the 180K's out, I gave it a shot and it's awesome! Still has a pretty good range with the 100K's in place of the 250K. I found a sweet spot. I was able to reuse an old enclosure that used to have a Dirt Transmitter in it. It was a tight fit, 1590B. No fancy graphics right now, just the old label maker.

dawson

Nice work! The gut-shot looks really awesome with the wall-to-wall vero & components. I also like the asymmetry of the footswitch- gives the whole enclosure a unique touch. Looking forward to more of those colorful stickers- those are rad!
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

MTK

Quote from: dawson on March 25, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Nice work! The gut-shot looks really awesome with the wall-to-wall vero & components. I also like the asymmetry of the footswitch- gives the whole enclosure a unique touch. Looking forward to more of those colorful stickers- those are rad!

Thanks, man. I plan on making some kind of graphic for it but haven't really decided on a theme yet. This pedal really sounds great in a mix. I've been working on an EP for a while and I was solid on using a Hoof Reaper for the left guitar and a Stoned Rat for the right. I redid the right tracks with this Fuzz Bender and I'm thinking it's a keeper. It sounds great. Ignore that the guitars aren't playing the same shit at the end of the clip, none of this stuff is final take/final mix, or mastered yet.

https://youtu.be/GJvemycmHXI