News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Baltic Birch Fuzz

Started by CodeMonk, March 24, 2020, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Since its going to be at least a few weeks (or more) before I can post what I am currently working on, and inspired by this build report: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=30931.0
I thought I would post something I did a few years ago, A fuzz pedal in a wooden box.
I had built a 2x12 cab using some Baltic Birch and had some left over.

Here is the schematic

Made this turret board (its missing a resistor in this picture)

Gut shot

Empty box pre-polishing

Polishing. I used olive oil (its all I had on hand at the time)

All done, minus knobs.

I had my neighbor, who has a little machine shop in his garage take care of the holes and hollowing out the inside.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

cooder

Class! Did you end up putting any shielding / copper tape or so on inside?
BigNoise Amplification

CodeMonk

Quote from: cooder on March 24, 2020, 01:07:04 AM
Class! Did you end up putting any shielding / copper tape or so on inside?

I had some copper foil I put in later on (I had bought some to shield my Strat).
I'd have updated pictures, but I moved a few months ago and a lot of stuff is still in boxes.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :

mjg

Is that the natural look of the birch?  I can't get over how strong the lines are on the side, it almost looks like you've sandwiched layers of different wood together!  Very well done, btw.

dawson

Another plywood enthusiast!
Great-looking build.  I'm impressed by that turret board, and the stacked plywood makes for a nice design element- all very classy (yes, "classy" and "plywood" can indeed belong in the same sentence under certain circumstances.)
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Aentons

Quote from: mjg on March 24, 2020, 02:03:55 PM
Is that the natural look of the birch?  I can't get over how strong the lines are on the side, it almost looks like you've sandwiched layers of different wood together!  Very well done, btw.

Yep, Fender makes and acoustic amp with exposed plywood sides. I saw one in GC and did a double take at how nice it looked.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Acoustic-100-100W-1x8-Acoustic-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-1500000038032.gc?

CodeMonk

Quote from: mjg on March 24, 2020, 02:03:55 PM
Thanks

Several pieces of 3/4 inch 13 ply Baltic Birch.
$40 for a 5x5 sheet (2011 prices).

My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :