News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any tips on de-soldering a 10 pin relay?

Started by Aentons, March 24, 2020, 02:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

I have desoldered a 3pdt switch once that was put in 90° wrong.... I added a huge blob of solder that covered all pins and pulled the switch out and then removed the residual solder. I'm not too handy with a solder sucker or wick and always had the part still soldered on in some small places that just wouldn't go. If you do it my way, just be careful not to get the solder on your fingers as you pull out the switch. Also not sure, if the relay would survive this "treatment"
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Aentons

There are a couple of methods in this video that I have not seen before, like compressed air.... Looks mess-y

Timko

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 02, 2020, 04:11:53 PM
I have had the best results with desoldering with adding fresh solder to the joints and use this solder sucker:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

I have used it for over 2 years and it just works. The silicon tip is heat resistant so you can put your iron tip on the joint then the sucker on top to make a seal then press the button to.. well.. suck.

I recently purchased this solder sucker and it's hands down the best one I've used over the past 5 years.  You're right that you can stick the tip right down on the iron, heat, and suck. 

Aentons

Quote from: Aentons on March 24, 2020, 04:02:06 PM
Quote from: zombie_rock123 on March 24, 2020, 03:21:13 PM
I recently saw a video on desoldering needles that seem from the videos to be pretty neat. I haven't tried them though.

Edit: Bit weird that the preview shows "Also good for body parts".

Now that's what I'm talking bout. I'm definitely gonna have to hit ebay for a set.

Edit: I bought a set, I'll report back how/if they work.

Needles got here... Its a big Nope. After a little practice, I could never actually get them to go thru the holes. Then I did and the lead broke off and went into the needle rendering it useless. Fail

Max

At work, in an old drawer, I found something like this:

Not exactly the same, the tip is almost identical, but it's attached to a simple shaft that I can attached to this:

Which is a bit oversized, but works great to remove IC sockets, relays and everything with more than two pins. Not for stomp switches, however.
Unfortunately it's very oxidized and not that effective anymore, and I can't find a cheap replacement  :'( :'( :'(