News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

If you could only build one MN3005 project... Which one and why?

Started by Aentons, March 31, 2020, 01:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

I have two 3005's. What's your favorite project for them?

jimilee

Total recall because it gives you options.  I like the chorus option myself. Plus if you built an aqua boy, you'd have one left over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

I have one of Madbean's original 1590BB sized Deluxe MM boards with 2 real MN3005's installed. I can't ever see myself needing anything else, but I have a few MN3005 boards that I've not tried yet. I'd love a DMM in a 125B sized box, but all my attempts thus far have been PCBs design revisions I could not debug.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

brucer

Madbean Dirtbag Deluxe: Deluxe Memory Man in a 1590BB: beautiful, musical, compact analog 550ms delay with chorus / vibrato modulation, true bypass and center-pin negative 9–15vDC operation.  It will never leave my pedalboard.

jimilee

Quote from: brucer on April 01, 2020, 06:38:04 PM
Madbean Dirtbag Deluxe: Deluxe Memory Man in a 1590BB: beautiful, musical, compact analog 550ms delay with chorus / vibrato modulation, true bypass and center-pin negative 9–15vDC operation.  It will never leave my pedalboard.
Isn't that the pt2399 version?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

brucer

Quote from: jimilee on April 01, 2020, 06:50:15 PM
Isn't that the pt2399 version?

Nope.  Dirtbag Deluxe (Revised 12.12.11), IC 4 and 5 are MN3005 or v3205.  Mine are MN3005.

DLW

I think the Total Recall is a newer version (for sale in the MBP store) of the Dirtbag Deluxe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Aentons

The Man O War DX has a lot of options. Anyone built one of those?

brucer

Quote from: DLW on April 01, 2020, 08:03:54 PM

I think the Total Recall is a newer version (for sale in the MBP store) of the Dirtbag Deluxe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm an amateur with things electrical, but think at least the power supply requirements are different.  Dirtbag Deluxe is center-pin negative running at 9-15v (mine running at 15v from Voodoo Lab 9v output via MB Road Rage).  Looks like the Total Recall runs at centre-pin positive 24v using a wall-wart.  Haven't compared ciruits, but best recollection of the release discussion is that the Total Recall is closer to a direct Memory Man clone than the Dirtbag Deluxe. 

Remember though the OP asked us what our build would be if we could pick only one MN3005 project.  The Dirtbag Deluxe would be my pick because I love it!

alanp

The Dirtbag is a reworking of the Deluxe Memory Man, to be more modern power friendly.

The Total Recall is more a warts-and-all mojo clone of the Deluxe Memory Man.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Any Memory Man-based project is going to be your best bet. And especially since you have two MN3005s, the Deluxe versions are the way to go. In the world of guitar effects, the Deluxe Memory Man is one of the rare guarantees that you will be happy with the results and it will be a pedal that will find a permanent place on your board. It's just iconic, versatile and lends itself to creating music. All you have to do is decide which clone of a Deluxe Memory Man you want to build. Any of them will be a good choice.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Aentons

So why was the Dirtbag Deluxe retired in favor of the Total Recall? It used a charge pump right? Did that do anything to the sound?

Edit: Nevermind... I found it
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29429.msg285244#msg285244

Aentons

Quote from: lars on April 03, 2020, 01:22:20 PM
Any Memory Man-based project is going to be your best bet. Any of them will be a good choice.

Makes total sense and that's pretty much what I expected. They just sound so good it's really hard to beat.

But, just to explore a bit...

The only other one that really catches my ear is the Moog MF-104M. Are there any pcbs for it or something similar out there?

Edit:I didn't realize till now that there were two different versions of it The "Super Delay" and the "Analog Delay"

Edit2 (EB): After further version investigation, I see the M is super duper serious, so I'd be more interested in a stripped down version without a lot of the hoopla like the 104z or even the MiniMF with some add on modulation which seem more do-able

Aentons

Anybody built the OP Electronics "Deluxe Delay"?
https://www.op-electronics.com/en/ambient-effects/299-deluxe-delay.html

It has a depth knob (i like knobs)

Also: What ever happened with the Dirtbag DLX3? Seems like it got really close to coming out, then didn't.