News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Table top solder blanket/tarp?

Started by Beedoola, April 01, 2020, 12:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beedoola

Given the shelter in place, I can't really access my communal shop space where my work bench is.

My girlfriend is using my music desk for work and I want to build some stuff on the dining room table.

I wanted to get protective material to put over the table/my work area. Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be specifically for soldering but something durable enough. to handle if a drop of solder falls on there not to burn through to the table.

Thoughts/suggestions?

EBK

A couple layers of toilet paper and you should be good to go.  ;D

More seriously, you could use just about anything.  A towel would be pretty simple. Solder cools off very rapidly once the iron is no longer heating it.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mjg

I used the side of a cardboard box for years, no issues.  Now have something made from silicone.

gordo

Harbor Freight sells those tarps with felt backing.  Or even a moving blanket that would save the table from an errant dropped 1590B.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

thesmokingman

I bought a decorative Halloween themed cloth place mat years ago at Target had three skeletons dancing on it ... been my go-to for working on delicate surfaces ... if you want to get proper, an anti-static mat is less than $20 on Amazon
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

davent

Piece of thin baltic birch plywood, masonite/hardboard/mdf.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

Just grab some card board, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

MTK

I've been using that slip resistant shelf liner stuff.

https://i.imgur.com/nmLtBIc.jpg

Aentons

I use a couple of cloth placemats and some cardboard

brianq41369

I've been using the same thin ceramic floor tile (12"x12") with some rubber dots glued under the corners for 23 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

selfdestroyer

I use a couple of these and they work great. I use a hot air station directly on it also with out burns/melting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075SXRXTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

davent

Something i'll use even when working on my workbench is i'll work on a few old cookie sheets with 1/2" /1cm sides. That way if i need the bench space for something, my project, tools, paraphernalia are contained on the cookie sheet and i can quickly clear the space set it aside do what i need, put the cookie sheet back on the bench and carry on with that project.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: davent on April 13, 2020, 08:40:57 AM
Something i'll use even when working on my workbench is i'll work on a few old cookie sheets with 1/2" /1cm sides. That way if i need the bench space for something, my project, tools, paraphernalia are contained on the cookie sheet and i can quickly clear the space set it aside do what i need, put the cookie sheet back on the bench and carry on with that project.

dave

This is a great idea! I may give this a try next time I Commandeer the kitchen table for temp building. I remember seeing some cheap cookie sheets at the 99 cent store by my house.

EBK

You could always graduate up to a sheet pan rack, reserving one of the pans as a workspace tray.

I have one, and it is one of the most useful tools I own.

Credit for the idea here:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29961.msg289598#msg289598

I need to purchase an additional sheet pan for mine.  I've filled up my "current project" pan with too many open projects.   :-[
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

MTK

Quote from: EBK on April 15, 2020, 11:36:23 AM
You could always graduate up to a sheet pan rack, reserving one of the pans as a workspace tray.

Credit for the idea here:
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=29961.msg289598#msg289598

That's genius!!!