News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anybody cut pickguards?

Started by HamSandwich, April 02, 2020, 05:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSandwich

In an attempt to work on projects while being stuck at home, I've come to putting a new pick guard together for a project. I have so far broken two saws, and mangled a lot of plastic.

If anyone has the capability to cut a pick guard, needs something to do and some money or trade for parts, I'd love to get some help. This is clearly something I do not have the capability to do!

It's not a normal pick guard, or I'd buy it off the shelf. Just looking for black, single ply, no beveled edge needed. I can send measurements or plastic sheet or files or whatever is needed. Thank you!

mjg

Not sure if you have access to a router, that's what I'd recommend.  But understand that if you are stuck at home, getting access to a router may not be an option. 

I'd offer, but I'm in Australia, so you can probably find someone closer postage-wise.

Aentons

Have you tried cutting it with just an xacto knife. I cut a back plate recently and it was tedious but it worked. Score it lightly at first, then you gradually get deeper. The curves don't have to be exact, you can get it close enough, then sand it smooth.

HamSandwich

Quote from: mjg on April 02, 2020, 05:59:59 PM
Not sure if you have access to a router, that's what I'd recommend.  But understand that if you are stuck at home, getting access to a router may not be an option. 

I'd offer, but I'm in Australia, so you can probably find someone closer postage-wise.

I do have a dremel, but I'm pretty unfamilair with the tips. I imagine a cut off wheel isn't it  ;D

Quote from: Aentons on April 02, 2020, 06:12:35 PM
Have you tried cutting it with just an xacto knife. I cut a back plate recently and it was tedious but it worked. Score it lightly at first, then you gradually get deeper. The curves don't have to be exact, you can get it close enough, then sand it smooth.

I have not! It seemed very thick! I think I have room for about two more on my plastic sheet, I'll have to give it a shot.

FYI, this is the guard. It's a big boy.