News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGP - SP content

Started by LaceSensor, November 06, 2022, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hey y'all
Very rarely do I post an NGD, yet bizarrely this year I have bought two guitars! - see my other post for the second one.

Yesterday I ended a 4+ year debate as to whether try to find the accompanying cousin for the much loved Billy Corgan Stratocaster.
I acquired the aforementioned Fender in late 2008, wanting a hardtail strat and realising it was that or a Buddy Guy mexican (pretty much).
Speaking to my oldest friend a week ago and reminiscing on many moons past, the Smashing Pumpkins came up and it relit my interest in the BC-1 signature from the Reverend brand of guitars.

I remember watching some YT when it came out and thinking it was cool enough, but honestly I am not a lifer SP fan, and Corgan I enjoy as much for the ability to laugh at him and his ridiculousness as his songwriting ability (!). Anyway, long story short I revisited all of the reviews (yet to find a bad one), and browsed eBay. Lo and behold there was one about 90 mins from me for a decent price, and in a colour I wasnt aware of (matt black).

I decided to buy it and I am very glad I did - its cool! Devisive looks aside, I actually appreciate it, and its cooler in person.
Kinda has a vibe of a offset, maybe more Coronado that Jazz/Jag as its got a bit of a fatter ass, and it certainly feels a bit Rick inspired too, no bad thing.

Before I wax lyrical and share some stats and thoughts, heres the pics:

Weight similar (strat 7lb5oz, BC1 7lb15oz)  Balance better on the Strat I think. Tuners feel better on the Strat but locking on the BC1. Other hardware much similars, the bridge peice feel nice on the BC1 certainly, and the E spots have some tracks for the grub screws to run in. Wiring in the Reverend is actaully very good! Components seem fine; full size alpha pots and shielded single core cable for the connective wiring. It's not boutique (ie cloth coated wax dipped etc) but neither is stock Fender stuff.

The Fender neck is admittedly nicer in feel especially on the rolled edges fingerboard and fretwork marginally better. Fret ends better on the Fender and they've been crowned finer and more consistently on breif inspection. I imagine I'll do some fretwork on the Rev in time... that said the headstock shape doesn't upset me - I actually think its in suiting, and more palatable than many adjustments to the classic Fender lines - and it's roasted maple feels really nice smooth and dry, almost unfinished on the back. The Strat is all satin finish so similar feel really but its "glossed over" a bit over the years of play in a good way.

Sound wise the Fender has all the 5 positions and 2/4 are coil split meaning you can get the classic spanky tones which I personally enjoy. Overall I LOVE the sound of the Strat. Rips with gain but clean and sparkly, very balanced too. Can of course do modern very well.
The Rev on my limited playtime thus far is a bit chunkier and only has three pickup switch positions. The bass contour, which is a Reverend trademark I think, might as well have three way switch lol it's basically booming bass - less booming - off. But it's a cool thing! Needs more exploring for sure. I am not so convinced it makes the Railhammer "HumCutter" pickups sound like single coils per say, but it definitely "revoices" things.

Fit and finish great on both however it goes to Fender for the thin nitrocellulose finish vs whatever synthetic finish is on the Rev (mostly cos I'm a nitro cork sniffer). That said the Matt black finish is really nicely done and only one tiny flaw that most people wouldn't notice. Considering I acquired this second hand its either not been used much, or is quite robust to use. Time will tell. Ive heard the finish is quite thin, which I always prefer to 5mm of poly

Minor point: the Strat came with a high end G&G case. I acquired both guitars second hand but the Rev comes with nothing (!) so it would need a case purchase. The Strat is also a bone fide California build USA Strat. There were unsubstantiated rumours that the early models out were under the guidance of the custom shop. I wouldnt doubt it as mine is lovely. But I take that with a grain of salt. The BC1 like all Reverends to my naive understanding are designed and setup/final QC etc in the USA, but the actual build is done in Korea. Honesltly if you didnt tell me that on the headstock I would think it was a lower end US guitar. The only thing I wish was immediately nicer would be some rolled fingerboard action..

Lastly maybe it's psychosomatic but I hear the "mid honk" that Corgan describes in the Rev; something that accentuates specific frequencies akin but not as extreme as a "cocked wah" approach. Nice.

Happy with both!

jimilee

Oh now, I like those. Never owned a Reverend, but I've always been fascinated with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mauman

I don't own a Reverend but have played them in music stores, and I liked the bass contour idea.  I'm not sure what values Reverend uses, but I put one on a humbucker lap steel that worked out pretty well, with a C1Meg pot and a 2.2nF cap in parallel.  You might need to tweak either the pot or the cap on yours to get it sounding the way you like it.

imjonwain

beautiful guitars!  I've always wanted to try out a Reverend but never seen one in a store to try (I also haven't gone out of my way lol).

Gish and Siamese Dream hold up for me but that might just be nostalgia lol.  I'm waiting for fender to make a Larissa Strickland signature strat.  That would be one of the only guitars I'd buy new. 

enjoy!
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR