News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Death by Fuzz (Fuzz War)

Started by Hexjibber, April 07, 2020, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Hey all, hope you're staying well!

This one is a DBA Fuzz War, v1. It's the infamous 7 transistor version and one I've always been curious about. I've built a couple of the Big Muff based newer ones but this one has until now eluded me! There's a lot of opinions on the circuit design out there, personally for me I like the sound of it and I'll just leave it at that!

Took a bit of fine tuning to get the best out of it but really happy with the end result, it's brutal!

Etched with NaOH and painted then treated to a coat of glitter spray because space!

I did a video too if you're curious about the noise it makes!

https://youtu.be/Az7fB5dV0tE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harryklippton

Good lord that looks incredible!

I acquired a DBA apocalypse a few months ago from a friend because it "didn't work." I was shocked when I opened it up to find that A. It had the worst soldering I have ever seen in my life and B. Was mostly SMD, which makes me question "handmade in Brooklyn." Their pedals sound great though.

Betty Wont

Quote from: harryklippton on April 07, 2020, 12:23:04 PM
Good lord that looks incredible!

I acquired a DBA apocalypse a few months ago from a friend because it "didn't work." I was shocked when I opened it up to find that A. It had the worst soldering I have ever seen in my life and B. Was mostly SMD, which makes me question "handmade in Brooklyn." Their pedals sound great though.
Yeah, the DBA stuff is atrocious and cheap inside, isn't it?!

thomasha

Nice etch, the space effect looks really good.

Thewintersoldier

awesome etch love the purple sparkle. It sounds brutal, I love it!
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

That's badass, and that inside! That'll take care of your OCD wont it?!

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Damn fine etch.  Those sparkles/stars look insane.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

Brutaaaal sounds and sweetest looks! Excellent etch, toothfairy sparkles and then the doooomest of soundz. Quite a mixture!
Those red (Wima?) caps and the rest of pcb are surely tidy as can be!
BigNoise Amplification

benny_profane

That's absolutely incredible. Beautiful work inside and out! Thanks for the well-made video, too.

Hexjibber

Thanks everyone! Really enjoying this one, if only I could have a band practice to really let rip! [emoji31]

I have to say the layout was pretty satisfying, it seemed well thought out and made it an easy build. Any quirks were more to do with the random circuit design I think! Kind of built it on a whim but glad I did!

m-Kresol

Wow that etch and painting looks amazing together. well done
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Hexjibber

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 07, 2020, 11:22:18 PM
Wow that etch and painting looks amazing together. well done
Thanks! [emoji2]

MTK

With a title like that, how could I not check it out? Great work on that build, man. Looks great.

Hexjibber

Quote from: MTK on April 08, 2020, 05:44:45 AM
With a title like that, how could I not check it out? Great work on that build, man. Looks great.

Cheers!  :D

Dminner

Wow, beautiful paint and etch