News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Man O' War DX

Started by benny_profane, April 09, 2020, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

Here's a stock build of the Man O' War DX (based on the Maxon AD-900). I've got an MN3005 version of the AD-900, and the modifications added here really add a lot to an already great pedal.

This was my first BBD delay project. I've built a few BBD modulation effects, but the delay proved to be quite a departure. The layout is nicely designed and population was smooth. I ran into problems when I got to biasing, though. Thanks to all who helped me via the Tech Help page. Those problems turned out to be me not seeing things through properly. After populating a new board and many redundant components later, I dug into the schematic and the actual engineering of the circuit. I think that with BBD-based effects (especially in the absence of an oscilloscope) understanding the interaction of the biasing controls is really key. I plan on revisiting this when I have access to a scope, but I'm very happy where it's at now.

Again, thanks to everyone that gave insight and helped me better understand this circuit, I really appreciate it.

The enclosure is finished with acrylic faceplates. They are white with a black substrate and laser etched.

Bio77

That's gorgeous, I love everything about it!  Did you engrave the plates yourself? 

gordo

What a seriously cool build. Acrylic plates look fantastic.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

cooder

That came out fabulous! What a great build!
BigNoise Amplification

Thewintersoldier

Beautiful. The colors, the faceplates, the build is super clean. I bet it sounds amazing. Great job!
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Makes my builds look silly. I love everything about them also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TGP39

Yes, the faceplate is very well thought out, but the guts and the wiring
are immaculate!!!     :o
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Boba7

Stunning! Love the faceplates

Timko

Very clean.  The artwork looks like something you'd see on a commercial pedal.

benny_profane

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback!

Quote from: Bio77 on April 09, 2020, 04:39:36 PM
That's gorgeous, I love everything about it!  Did you engrave the plates yourself? 

I've engraved pedals/faceplates myself in the past, but these were done via ponoko.com. I took advantage of their first-time user discount and made a bunch for different pedals at once. Not sure if I'd keep on using them at full price, though. So far, I think that the acrylic faceplates are my favorite finishing technique. As long as you don't mind a more muted aesthetic, they look good and are really durable. Also, it makes final assembly extremely easy—and no need to wait for paint to dry after you've finished the board!

I enjoy making more elaborate designs with waterslides, but acrylic faceplates can't have extremely fine lines or a lot of detail. I actually like working with these design restrictions, though; I've always appreciated minimalist and typographic design. Here, I decided to make it really straightforward and leaned on establishing functional distinctions with the control blocks. The location of the modulation LED was actually not planned. I had designed the faceplate but hadn't considered that indicator. I got lucky that there was an empty space in the corner. I ended up measuring the location on the faceplate then marking and drilling it. I mounted the faceplate with some hardware and center-punched the location on the enclosure before drilling.

Bret608

That is stunning! Congrats on an awesome build.

Hexjibber

Wow! I love this! Superb work all round! Quite fancy doing one of these myself actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk