News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greenbean - question on Volume

Started by Vivek_rc, April 13, 2020, 02:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek_rc

Hi All,

I just completed a greenbean 2019 build and was testing it, and it seems to working and getting an overdrive sound. However the volume seems to be on the low side, it's not much louder even setting volume pot at max, the controls work and drive pot does overdrive the signal, clipping also changes the sound. I've measured all the voltages and everything checks out. Was hoping to get some advice if anyone has faced a similar situation.

Many thanks

Vivek

Vivek_rc

I think I might have found an issue :) for some reason  I put in the wrong capacitors for the 1uf!! Realised when I looked at the pictures I posted on this forum! Will replace them and see if there is a difference

Update: replaced the capacitors with 1uf caps and it's still the same, volume is still at the same level.

jimilee

Check all your other parts and reflowed yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Did you use a substitute for Q1 and the bottom right one? I notice that the transistors there are oriented the opposite way to the silkscreen.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Vivek_rc

Quote from: alanp on April 13, 2020, 09:50:07 AM
Did you use a substitute for Q1 and the bottom right one? I notice that the transistors there are oriented the opposite way to the silkscreen.
Hi Alanp, I used BC550s and from the data sheet they should be orientated so that pin 3 is the emitter. I will try to reflow all solder points again and see if it makes a difference 

Vivek_rc

Quote from: jimilee on April 13, 2020, 06:44:08 AM
Check all your other parts and reflowed yet?

Will try to do a reflow

Vivek_rc

Reflowed the solder points again and now the volumes come up, it sounds good. Had to go over once and then again on the clipping switch.

Than you Alanp for the advice and guidance

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: Vivek_rc on April 13, 2020, 04:55:04 PM
Reflowed the solder points again and now the volumes come up, it sounds good. Had to go over once and then again on the clipping switch.

Than you Alanp for the advice and guidance

Great to hear. I had to do that last week with a couple of builds. I get over confident in my soldering from time to time.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Vivek_rc

Thanks Jimilee, I know what you mean about being over confident, it looked all fine via a visual inspection but you never know what's going on under the solder...thanks for the advice Mate. Now to box it. [emoji3]