News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Somebody stop me - stupid pedal ideas

Started by Willybomb, April 15, 2020, 08:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  I have this problem where I start a build, and it's fairly basic, but then I get stupid ideas that get out of hand.

Tonight, I finished a Boneyard that took ideas from my Magnum Opus build, but simplified it to just two channels with different clipping LEDs for each channel.

BUT, I have two more dirtbox builds, along with all the other half finished boards on my desk, that have a real opportunity to get stupid.  This is how the process goes:

- That Fetto demo sounds good, let's build that.
- I like the option of low and high gain in a dirt pedal, let's add that.  It's a cascaded jfet design, so I'll need to compensate for volume when there's a gain pot switch.  So that's another 2 pots.
- Lol, these switches make a fair bit of difference to the sound.  Let's mount all 10 of them on the front where they can be accessed, instead of dipswitches inside.
- Ok, it'll have to go in an NS sized box for all this.
- The max amount of gain is pretty good if both Gain1 and Gain2 dips are on.  Wonder if I should put both of those to a footswitch instead of using it as a gain pot switcher.
- I should probably still have the gain pot switching too.  I can fit 3 footswitches in an NS, surely.  Others have done it...
- I think I want a bit more overall dirt.  How does it sound with a boost in front?
- Pretty good.  I wonder what boost I should use?  Maybe I should try a TS or BB in front of it.  If I leave the dips as switches instead of the footswitch, I can use a DD for a full pedal in front of the Fetto.  I can do 4 footswitches in a DD.  That means I can put the dips on a footswitch still.
- The single knob tone control is a bit simple.  Maybe I can put a 3 band eq in.  Will a Tonemender fit?
- What would be cool, is adding Lart's cabsim.
- Haha, I have a THcustoms Linedriver I can put in this too.
- I reckon I should put a loop in this, so I can put my effects between the Fetto and the cabsim/linedriver.
- I'll need a splitter in there so I can have both XLR and 1/4 outputs...

And so it goes.  I also have a Plexidrive on vero that I'm planning to basically turn into the deluxe version, but with a boost, tonemender, and channel switching.  That would be a DD as well, although it could feasibly go into an NS.

This is how I end up with things like the Magnum Opus.  I just keep wanting to add functionality.  It's crazy.

gordo

I think we all have a tad too much time on our hands :-)

Problem is, I see nothing wrong or unusual about this...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Muadzin

There is no such thing as a stupid pedal idea, as long as it works. Now, useful, that's something else entirely.

mjg

That all seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Looking forward to the build report.  ;)

cooder

Looks just fine by me... nothin' to see here...
BigNoise Amplification

Yahoo67

i get it Willy ! its basically why i went on a dual 125b pedal quest these past weeks XD, but you're on a other level :P !

CodeMonk

Sounds perfectly reasonably Willy.

Maybe get a couple of Hammond 1590DE enclosures around so you can go nuts.
Or 1590Z235 when you really want to lose your marbles.
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

Willybomb

QuoteI think we all have a tad too much time on our hands :-)

I probably need to take shorter showers.  That's when these ideas come to me.

Maybe get a couple of Hammond 1590DE enclosures around so you can go nuts.
Or 1590Z235 when you really want to lose your marbles.

I think I did my "Stealth" build in one of those.

You guys really aren't helping at all.

CodeMonk

OK then...
Not a pedal, but build a reverb using this as a tank:
My friends call me Rob

Affiliations :
Dalton Jones Electronics: Chief Tinkerer

EBK

Quote from: CodeMonk on April 18, 2020, 02:48:56 AM
OK then...
Not a pedal, but build a reverb using this as a tank....
My favorite impractical reverb will probably always be this one:
https://hackaday.com/2012/11/28/100-meter-spring-reverb-makes-us-hear-satanic-voices/
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber