News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DeadEnd Meaty Balls Rotary Switch Settings

Started by dobo2001, April 16, 2020, 04:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobo2001

Just finished up the Meaty Balls build, however I'm not getting any effect. There is wet signal passing through but not envelope effect. I believe I have the Mode rotary switch set up incorrectly, which is causing the Vactrols to not activate properly.

I used the 3P4T rotary from smallbear which has the selectable number of posistions, however, when the selector washer is placed in the hole marked as "2", the switch full rotates into all 12 positions, and I only need two for the Mode selector. So I guess I'm asking the correct setting for the selector washer on the switch in order to create the correct connections for the signal to be passed into the Vactrols.

Build doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNo8_WW6GXhP5TkP2svk9VGfs3mVzFtU/view

dobo2001

Also, Pins 5 and 6 on the rotary have continuity with no resistance, which seems incorrect. The status LED is lit up, dimmer in one position with full brightness in the other, which also seems incorrect.

*Edit*- Ended up switching the LM1458 for a NE5532, and the LED works as expected now, however, I'm still not getting any effect. This has also gotten rid of that short between pins 5 and 6. Gonna take another shot at the audio probe and see where we get.

PMowdes2

Quote from: dobo2001 on April 16, 2020, 05:57:29 PM
Also, Pins 5 and 6 on the rotary have continuity with no resistance, which seems incorrect. The status LED is lit up, dimmer in one position with full brightness in the other, which also seems incorrect.

*Edit*- Ended up switching the LM1458 for a NE5532, and the LED works as expected now, however, I'm still not getting any effect. This has also gotten rid of that short between pins 5 and 6. Gonna take another shot at the audio probe and see where we get.

Post some build pictures. 

The pcb is verified so there must be an error in how you put it together.

The envelope is sensitive to the IC, i'd recommend finding a legit 1458.  Have you checked the send / return is wired correctly.  if it isnt the envelope wont work.  It is also sensitive to the settings.  Make sure that the attack is set less than the decay and that the bandwidth swith is up or down (the envelope wont trigger if it's in the middle position)
DeadEndFX

dobo2001

Quote from: PMowdes2 on April 17, 2020, 02:31:04 PM
Quote from: dobo2001 on April 16, 2020, 05:57:29 PM

Post some build pictures. 

The pcb is verified so there must be an error in how you put it together.

The envelope is sensitive to the IC, i'd recommend finding a legit 1458.  Have you checked the send / return is wired correctly.  if it isnt the envelope wont work.  It is also sensitive to the settings.  Make sure that the attack is set less than the decay and that the bandwidth swith is up or down (the envelope wont trigger if it's in the middle position)

Thanks for the tips!

I believe I got both the 1458s from Mouser, and I've tried two different ones. I've posted some pics. I'm fairly sure the send return is wired correctly. I audio probed again and got to Pin 1 of the Attack pot with good signal, however, on pins 2 and 3 there is little to no signal, and therefore the second half of the 1458 isn't really getting anything to work with, so I have little to no signal there as well.

PMowdes2

I'd check the wiring of the intensity and decay jacks and the soldering on the pads, sound like something could be grounding out in that section.  Hit us up on FB if you want talking through it
DeadEndFX

dobo2001

Quote from: PMowdes2 on April 18, 2020, 11:47:15 AM
I'd check the wiring of the intensity and decay jacks and the soldering on the pads, sound like something could be grounding out in that section.  Hit us up on FB if you want talking through it

Did some more poking around and found that the tip of the Decay Jack has continuity with the Ground of the Intensity Jack. Could this be causing the problems?

PMowdes2

Quote from: dobo2001 on April 18, 2020, 02:47:36 PM

Did some more poking around and found that the tip of the Decay Jack has continuity with the Ground of the Intensity Jack. Could this be causing the problems?

Decay jack tip shunts to GND via the tip sw, all of the GND connections have continuity so yes it's correct
DeadEndFX

m-Kresol

Quote from: dobo2001 on April 16, 2020, 04:09:25 PM
Just finished up the Meaty Balls build, however I'm not getting any effect. There is wet signal passing through but not envelope effect. I believe I have the Mode rotary switch set up incorrectly, which is causing the Vactrols to not activate properly.

I used the 3P4T rotary from smallbear which has the selectable number of posistions, however, when the selector washer is placed in the hole marked as "2", the switch full rotates into all 12 positions, and I only need two for the Mode selector. So I guess I'm asking the correct setting for the selector washer on the switch in order to create the correct connections for the signal to be passed into the Vactrols.

Build doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNo8_WW6GXhP5TkP2svk9VGfs3mVzFtU/view

I don't quite understand why a 3P4T should have 12 positions and not only 4. Are you sure you've got the correct switch?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

dobo2001

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 19, 2020, 02:30:02 AM

I don't quite understand why a 3P4T should have 12 positions and not only 4. Are you sure you've got the correct switch?

Got both the 3P4T and 4P3T from smallbear, the Alpha plastic enclosed rotary switches. SKUs 0226 and 0227. Do I have the switches set up incorrectly then? Should I adjust the selector washer?

dobo2001

Quote from: PMowdes2 on April 19, 2020, 01:06:42 AM
Quote from: dobo2001 on April 18, 2020, 02:47:36 PM

Decay jack tip shunts to GND via the tip sw, all of the GND connections have continuity so yes it's correct

Did more poking around, and I'm also not getting any signal on the other side of the LDR's on the Vactrols. Signal goes in but there's nothing out, I'm assuming because the LED's within the vactrols are also not getting any signal so there's nothing for them to work with.

PMowdes2

The vactrols change the resistance into the filters, if the trigger isn't working and the led isn't lighting up showing the envelope working then the resistance into the filters will be high and the signal wont pass.

Does the led light up on the top when you play?  again this can be setting sensitive.

If you are on social media (Facebook) drop me a message (www.facebook.com/deadendefx) and I will help you through it.

Cheers

Phil (DEFX)
DeadEndFX

Govmnt_Lacky

THIS is a problem. The switch should be selectable to only rotate in the 2 positions required. When you put the tab washer in the #2 slot, the rotary should be limited to only 2 positions.

Did you have this issue with the other 4P3T rotary? Do you only have 3 positions for the Bandwidth selections?

dobo2001

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 22, 2020, 09:01:16 AM

THIS is a problem. The switch should be selectable to only rotate in the 2 positions required. When you put the tab washer in the #2 slot, the rotary should be limited to only 2 positions.

Did you have this issue with the other 4P3T rotary? Do you only have 3 positions for the Bandwidth selections?

I was able to get the switches to the correct number of positions, the washers weren't getting fully into the slots and the switch was able to pass by them. Verified their functionality with the multimeter, they are making the correct connections now. Still no effect though...

dobo2001

Got everything working, turned out the be some difficulties with the knob settings and switch settings not playing nice. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Also, as an aside, I actually prefer the behavior of an NE5532 in the IC2 spot with the vactrols. Gives it a smoother decay in my experience!